Foreign relations of Senegal
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
President Léopold Senghor advocated close relations with France and negotiation and compromise as the best means of resolving international differences. To a large extent, the two succeeding Presidents have carried on Senghor's policies and philosophies. Senegal has long supported functional integration among French-speaking West African states through the West African Economic and Monetary Union.
Senegal has a high profile in many international organizations and was a member of the UN Security Council in 1988-89. It was elected to the UN Commission on Human Rights in 1997. Friendly to the West, especially to France and to the United States, Senegal also is a vigorous proponent of more assistance from developed countries to the Third World.
Senegal enjoys mostly cordial relations with its neighbors. In spite of clear progress on other fronts with Mauritania (border security, resource management, economic integration, etc.), there remains the problem of an estimated 30,000 Afro-Mauritanian refugees living in Senegal.
From 1996 to 2005, Senegal maintained relations with the Republic of China (Taiwan) instead of the People's Republic of China. On October 25 2005, People's Republic of China re-established foreign relations with Senegal.
- France has an embassy in Dakar and a consulate-general in Saint-Louis.
- Senegal has an embassy in Paris and consulates-general in Bordeaux, Lyon and Marseille and a consular agency in [[Le H
Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his Senegalese counterpart Abdoulaye Wade had a joint press conference along with a close meeting in Feb 2008 in the city of Mashhad, both side pledged to expand the bilateral ties in the fields of economy, tourism and politics in addition to increase the efforts for empowering the OIC.
Also the giant Iran-based automaker Iran Khodro established an assembly line to produce Iranian cars in Senegal and dispatch them to the African markets directly from Dakar. This Iranian-Senegalese company has the capacity to produce 10,000 Samand cars annually.
In 2011, Senegal cut ties with Iran, accusing Tehran of supplying separatist rebels in the Casamance region with weapons. They purport that these weapons were used in the killing of three Senegalese soldiers.
- Malaysia has an embassy in Dakar.
- Senegal has an embassy in Kuala Lumpur.
In the years following independence, Mauritania's principal friend in sub-Saharan Africa was Senegal, although the two countries have espoused different strategies for development. The growing split between blacks and Maures in Mauritania has, however, affected ties with Senegal, which sees itself as championing the rights of Mauritania's black minority. Under Taya, relations between the two countries were correct, even though each accused the other of harboring exiled dissidents.
In May 1987, Senegal extradited Captain Moulaye Asham Ould Ashen, a former black member of the Haidalla government accused of corruption, but only after veiled threats from Nouakchott that failure to do so would result in Mauritania's allowing Senegalese dissidents a platform from which to speak out against the government of President Abdou Diouf. At the same time, Senegal and Mauritania have cooperated successfully with Mali under the Senegal River Development Office (Organisation pour la Mise en Valeur du Fleuve Sénégal—OMVS), which was formed in 1972 as a flood control, irrigation, and agricultural development project.
- Mexico is accredited to Senegal from its embassy in Rabat, Morocco. and maintains an honorary consulate in Dakar.
- Senegal is accredited to Mexico from it embassy in Washington, D.C., United States and maintains an honorary consulate in Mexico City.
Russia has an embassy in Dakar and Senegal has an embassy in Moscow. The Soviet Union established diplomatic relations with Senegal on June 14, 1962
Senegal enjoys an excellent relationship with the United States. The Government of Senegal is known and respected for its able diplomats and has often supported the U.S. in the United Nations, including with troop contributions for peacekeeping activities. The United States maintains friendly relations with Senegal and provides considerable economic and technical assistance.
- Senegal has an embassy in Washington, DC and a consulate-general in New York City.
- United States has an embassy in Dakar.
Disputes - international
A short section of the boundary with the Gambia is undefined.
- List of diplomatic missions in Senegal
- List of diplomatic missions of Senegal
- Senegambia Confederation
- Embassy of France in Dakar (in French)
- Embassy of Senegal in Paris (in French)
- Iran, Senegal presidents urge OIC to support Muslims
- Iranian car assembly line in Senegal
- Senegal severs ties with Iran - Africa - Al Jazeera English
- "Official Website of Embassy of Malaysia, Dakar". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "Ambassade (Malaisie)" (in French). Gourvernement du Senegal. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- Handloff, Robert E. "Relations with Other African States". In Mauritania: A Country Study (Robert E. Handloff, editor). Library of Congress Federal Research Division (June 1988). This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- Embassy of Mexico in Morocco (in Spanish)
- Honorary consulate of Mexico in Dakar, Senegal
- Embassy of Senegal in the United States (in French)
- Embassy of Senegal in Washington, DC (in French)
- Embassy of the United States in Dakar (in English and French)