Cattolica Assicurazioni logo
|Società Cattolica di Assicurazione S.C.|
|Verona Cattolica Assicurazioni|
|Traded as||BIT: CASS|
|Founded||27 February 1896|
|Headquarters||16 Lungadige Cangrand, Verona, Italy|
|Services||Life and non-life insurances|
|Profit||€60.914 million (2015)|
|Total assets||€24.043 billion (2015)|
|Total equity||€1.912 billion (2015)|
|Website||Official website (in Italian)|
Footnotes / references|
in consolidated basis
Società Cattolica di Assicurazione – Società Cooperativa known as Cattolica Assicurazioni is an Italian insurance company. According to Ricerche e Studi, a subsidiary of Mediobanca, the group had a €5,382,471,000 (in 2014 financial year) gross premiums written making it the 6th largest Italian insurance company, or the fifth excluding Allianz, a subsidiary of the German insurer. Research by PricewaterhouseCoopers, showed the insurer as being ranked 4th by market share in non-life insurance (6.4%), but not in the top 5 in life insurance.
Cattolica Assicurazioni was actively in bancassurance, which the insurer sold its products in banks. The insurer also bought part of the stake in the bank as part of the deal. Cattolica was a minority owner of Bancaperta (sold in 2002), Credito Artigiano (sold in 2002), Banca Mediterranea (sold in 2004), Banca di Cividale (sold in 2006), Banca di Valle Camonica (sold in 2015), Cassa di Risparmio di Fabriano e Cupramontana, Banca Lombarda e Piemontese, Banca Regionale Europea, Credito Bergamasco, Banca Popolare Sant'Angelo and Banca Popolare di Intra.
In 2000 Cattolica signed an agreement with Banca Popolare Sant'Angelo in bancassurance. In March 2002 the 6-year partnership with Credito Valtellinese (Creval) was terminated. Cattolica sold 5.56% stake of Bancaperta and 5% stake of Credito Artigiano to Creval, acquiring 5% stake of Risparmio & Previdenza and cash in return.
In 2002 Cattolica sold a minority stake in Credito Bergamasco (and Creberg SIM) to Banco Popolare di Verona e Novara (BPVN) for €57.1 million, acquiring 20% stake of Duomo Previdenza and 20% stake of Duomo Assicurazioni at the same time, for €55.7 million. The bancassurance agreement with former Banca Popolare di Verona was also renewed (BPV Vita). In 2004 more shares of Creberg was sold to BPVN, for €72,049,404. In 2007 Banco Popolare bought back BPV Vita (became Popolare Vita) for €64.18 million, but re-selling the 50% stake to Fondiaria-Sai.
In 2002 Cattolica bought 50% stake in Eurosun Assicurazioni Vita (Eurosav) for €15 million, forming a joint venture with Banca Popolare di Bari in bancassurance. In 2004 Cattolica bought an additional 15% stake of Risparmio & Previdenza from Banco di Sardegna for €8,175,000. Risparmio & Previdenza was a subsidiary of Cattolica, serving Cassa di Risparmio di Fabriano e Cupramontana and Banca di Credito Popolare di Torre del Greco. In the same year another 50% stake of Eurosav was bought for €40 million. Eurosav was absorbed by Risparmio & Previdenza in 2006; the businesses of Risparmio & Previdenza were absorbed by Cattolica Previdenza (pension fund), the parent company on 31 December 2013 and Cattolica Immobiliare on 1 June 2014.
In 2007 Cattolica signed a memorandum of understanding with Banca Popolare di Vicenza (BPVi) for bancassurance. Cattolica acquired 50% stake of Berica Vita and Vicenza Life (later Cattolica Life), as well as selling 50% stake of ABC Assicura to BPVi. Cattolica's subsidiary, Verona Gestioni SGR, was also merged with BPVi Fondi SGR, forming a joint venture in asset management. BPVi also acquired a minority stake in Cattolica. (15.07% as at 31 December 2015)
The bancassurance partnership with UBI Banca (ex-Banca Lombarda e Piemontese member banks only) was renewed in 2010, with Cattolica acquiring an additional 9.9% stake in Lombarda Vita from the banking group for about €120 million.
In 2013 Cattolica acquired FATA Assicurazioni Danni from Generali Italia, a subsidiary of Assicurazioni Generali for €179 million. On 5 April 2016 it was announced that the subsidiary would be absorbed by the parent company.
- BCC Assicurazioni (51%, joint venture with ICCREA Banca)
- BCC Vita (51%, joint venture with ICCREA Banca)
- Lombarda Vita (60%, joint venture with UBI Banca)
- TUA Assicurazioni
- UBI Banca (0.57%)
- Banca Popolare di Vicenza (0.0006%)
- Veneto Banca (0.22%)
- Cassa di Risparmio di San Miniato (25.12%)
- Emilbanca (0.08%)
- As of 20 April 2016
- Banca Popolare di Vicenza (15.07%)
- Norges Bank (2.086%)
- Palladio Finanziaria (2.044%)
- Fondazione Banca del Monte di Lombardia (2.043%)
- treasury shares (2.005%)
- "ASSIGNMENT OF CORPORATE OFFICES; PARTICIPATION IN THE ATLANTE PROJECT" (PDF). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 20 April 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "2015 Bilancio Consolidato" (PDF) (in Italian). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 6 April 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "LE PRINCIPALI IMPRESE ASSICURATRICI ITALIANE (2015)" (PDF) (in Italian). Ricerche e Studi. October 2015. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "The Italian Insurance Market (2014 figures+ 3M15 overview)" (PDF). PricewaterhouseCoopers. September 2015. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "CATTOLICA ASSICURAZIONI CEDE LA PARTECIPAZIONE IN NUOVA BANCA MEDITERRANEA" (PDF) (in Italian). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 12 January 2004. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- "2006 Bilancio Consolidato" [2006 Consolidated Annual Report] (in Italian). Banca Popolare di Cividale. 16 May 2007. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "CATTOLICA: UN NUOVO ACCORDO DI BANCASSICURAZIONE IN SICILIA" (PDF) (in Italian). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 8 August 2000. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "JOINT PRESS RELEASE" (PDF). Credito Valtellinese / Cattolica Assicurazioni. 20 March 2002. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "CATTOLICA ASSICURAZIONI AND BANCO POPOLARE DI VERONA E NOVARA SIMPLIFY EQUITY RELATIONSHIPS" (PDF). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 19 July 2002. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "INCREASINGLY CLOSE COLLABORATION BETWEEN BANCO POPOLARE DI VERONA E NOVARA AND CATTOLICA ASSICURAZIONI" (PDF). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 1 June 2002. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "BPVN purchase Cattolica's share in Credito Bergamasco in excess of 1%" (PDF). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 9 July 2004. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "STAKE IN BPV VITA: CALL OPTION EXERCISED BY BANCO POPOLARE DI VERONA E NOVARA" (PDF). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 28 March 2007. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "CATTOLICA ASSICURAZIONI BUYS INTO EUROSAV (BANCA POPOLARE DI BARI) WITH 50% STAKE" (PDF). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 21 November 2002. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "CATTOLICA ACQUIRES 15% OF RISPARMIO & PREVIDENZA FROM BANCO DI SARDEGNA" (PDF). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 30 January 2004. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "CATTOLICA ASSICURAZIONI AL 100% IN EUROSAV" (PDF) (in Italian). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 28 December 2004. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "START OF THE BANKING & INSURANCE PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN THE CATTOLICA AND BANCA POPOLARE DI VICENZA GROUPS" (PDF). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 26 January 2007. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "The UBI Banca Group and the Cattolica Group renew agreements for the distribution of life insurance products" (PDF) (in Italian). UBI Banca / Cattolica Assicurazioni. 29 July 2010. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "CATTOLICA'S AGREEMENT WITH GENERALI FOR THE ACQUISITION OF FATA SIGNED" (PDF). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 20 November 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "MERGER BY INCORPORATION OF FATA ASSICURAZIONI INTO CATTOLICA ASSICURAZIONI" (PDF). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 5 April 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "CATTOLICA ASSICURAZIONI EXERCISES THE RIGHT OF WITHDRAWAL FROM THE PARTNERSHIP WITH BANCA POPOLARE DI VICENZA" (PDF). Cattolica Assicurazioni. 4 August 2016. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Official website (Italian)