Beigang in Yunlin County
|Literal meaning||North Port|
The Beigang River borders the town on the east and south.
During the Dutch era, Ponkan (Chinese: 笨港; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Pùn-káng) was an important coastal castle. In 1621, "Chinese Peter" (顏思齊) from Zhangzhou, Fujian and his forces occupied Ponkan (modern-day Beigang) and started to develop Tsulosan (諸羅山; today's Chiayi City), which grew to become the capital of Tsulo County in 1704.
Tungyang Village, Guangmin Village, Tunghua Village, Nanan Village, Zhonghe Village, Yimin Village, Gongrong Village, Xishi Village, Renhe Village, Sifu Vil. Gongguan Village, Datong Village, Renan Village, Huasheng Village, Guangfu Village, Fuzhao Village, Shuipu Village, Xinjie Village, Liucuo Village, Hougou Village, Xincuo Village, Fupan Village, Caohu Village, Gouzao Village, Pangou Village, Dabei Village, Haoshou Village and Shujiao Village.
The China Medical University has a branch in Beigang.
Beigang is only a short drive (approximately fifteen minutes by car) from National Chung Cheng University, one of Taiwan's foremost research universities.
- Chaotian Temple, visited by more than a million tourists a year
- Statue of Mazu on top of the cultural hall of the Chaotian Temple
- Beigang Tourist Bridge, which connects the counties of Yunlin and Chiayi which are separated by the Beigang River
- Beigang Water Tower
Local cuisine specialities
- Beigang Cakes (traditional wedding cakes)
- Beigang Peanuts and Broad Beans
- Festivities around the birthday of Mazu (23rd day of the third moon of the lunar year)
- Yunlin Good Gods Festival
- Beigang International Music Festival
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beigang Township, Yunlin County.|
- Beigang Township Office, Yunlin County
- Sauntering around Beigang by Steven Crook /culture.tw
- Introduction of Beigang in the China Post
- National Geographic Traveler Taiwan, ISBN 0-7922-6555-6