Applied Arts Collection
The Sforza Castle
|Location||Piazza Castello 3, 20121, Milan, Italy|
The Applied Arts Collection of Milan (Raccolte d’Arte Applicata di Milano in Italian) are sited in the Sforza Castle museum complex under the management of the municipality of the city. The museum is divided into several section with particular attention for the jewelries, ivories, pottery and art glass sections.
The ceramic collection consist in a substantial nucleus of medieval, renaissance and baroque pottery, a maiolica group with important pieces of high quality maiolica produced from 17th century in Lodi and Milan, and a collection of European chinaware and earthenware.
Among the collections of artistic glass stands Cup Gonzagna, made of crystal clear glass and decorated with a pattern of small golden flowers and the Gonzaga coat of arm with a quadripartite black eagle on a white background.
In the Sala Della Balla are also exposed the Arazzi Trivulzio, a series of twelve tapestries representing the different months of the years and designed based on Bramantino's drawings.
Sources and links
- Media related to Raccolte d'arte applicate del Castello Sforzesco di Milano at Wikimedia Commons
- Le città d'arte:Milano, Guide brevi Skira, ed.2008, autori vari. (Italian language edition)
- Milano e Provincia, Touring club Italiano, ed.2003, autori vari. (Italian language edition)
- Applied Arts Collection, Municipality Of Milan Website
Hercules fighting the hydra, Nicola da Urbino, maiolica, 1525-35, Urbino.
Crab, Ferruccio Mengaroni, maiolica, 1920-25, Pesaro.
Cup of Giovanni Maria Parravicino, 15th-16th century, bottega valtellinese.
Tabernacle with stories of the Virgin and Jesus, 15th century, avory.
Deposit of Saint Cyprian and Justina, 11th century.
Hunting equipment, Germany, 1573, wrought iron and gilded.