The Alderney Railway on Alderney is the only railway in the Bailiwick of Guernsey (a British Crown dependency), and the only working railway in the Channel Islands. (There is a standard gauge railway at the Pallot Heritage Steam Museum in Jersey, but this provides no actual transport link, only pleasure rides.) The Alderney Railway opened in 1847 and runs for about 2 miles (3.2 km), mostly following a coastal route, from Braye Road to Mannez Quarry and Lighthouse.
The railway is run by volunteers and usually operates during summer weekends and bank holidays.
The current stock is former London Underground 1959 Tube Stock cars nos. 1044 and 1045, a Vulcan Drewry 0-4-0 diesel locomotive no. D100 'Elizabeth', a Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0 diesel 'Molly II' and six Wickham rail cars. 'Molly II' is currently awaiting modification to her coupler system, so she can haul the London Underground stock. However, this cannot happen at the moment due to the fact she is not yet owned by the Alderney Railway company.
- British Admiralty, 1854-1923. (The railway was, presumably, owned by some other department of the British Government from 1847-1854).
|Name||Date built||Builder||Works No.||Wheels||Cylinders||Notes||Withdrawn|
|Waverley||?||Henry Hughes of Loughborough||?||0-4-0ST||Outside||-||1889|
|Gillingham||?||Aveling and Porter||?||0-6-0TG||?||arr. 1893||1893|
- Channel Islands Granite Co Ltd, 1923-1940.
This company took over the railway in 1923, together with locomotives No.1 and No.2. No.1 was returned to England and replaced by Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST "Nitro".
- German occupation, 1940-1945
No.2 and "Nitro" were commandeered by the Germans and are believed to have been shipped to Cherbourg in 1943 or 1944. The Germans lifted part of the standard gauge line and replaced it with a metre gauge line, worked by two Feldbahn 0-4-0 diesel locomotives.
- British Home Office, 1945-?
The line was restored to standard gauge in 1947-1949 and the following stock was used:
- Sentinel 4wVBT "Molly", in service from 1947, withdrawn 1958. May have been converted to a mobile sand-blaster, which was still extant in 1980.
- Cowans Sheldon steam crane
- Ruston & Hornsby 0-4-0 diesel "Molly II"
- Alderney Railway Co Ltd, 1980 onwards
The railway was built by the British Government in the 1840s and opened in 1847. Its original purpose was to carry stone from the eastern end of the island to build the breakwater and the Victorian era forts.
- "Enthusiasts visit Alderney Railway". The Railway Magazine. 154 (1,290): 80. October 2008. ISSN 0033-8923.
- http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/52/Alderney.htm M Swift in Industrial Railway Record February 1974
- (Photo) Sentinel 4wVBT converted to a mobile sand-blaster (1980)
- Railways of the Channel Islands, A Pictorial Survey compiled by C Judge, published by The Oakwood Press 1992, ISBN 0-85361-432-6
- Alderney Railway official website
- A fan's website
- Photographs of Channel Islands railways (including Alderney)
- Rail 608 December 31st 2008 magazine pages 68-69 feature on the Alderney Railway
- The Alderney Breakwater by M. Swift a detailed account in THE INDUSTRIAL RAILWAY RECORD No. 52 - pages 170-173 FEBRUARY 1974 issue