|Coordinates: 49°38′20″N 1°37′30″W / 49.639°N 1.625°WCoordinates: 49°38′20″N 1°37′30″W / 49.639°N 1.625°W|
|• Mayor (2016-2020)||Benoît Arrivé|
|Area1||68.54 km2 (26.46 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||50129 / 50100|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Cherbourg-en-Cotentin (French pronunciation: [ʃɛʁbuʁ ɑ̃ kotɑ̃tɛ̃]) is a commune in the department of Manche, in northwestern France, established on 1 January 2016. The commune takes its name from Cherbourg, the main town of the commune, and the Cotentin Peninsula. Cherbourg is an important commercial, ferry and military port on the English Channel.
The municipality was established on 1 January 2016 by merger of the former communes of Cherbourg-Octeville, Équeurdreville-Hainneville, La Glacerie, Querqueville and Tourlaville. The seat of the commune is in Cherbourg. Cherbourg-Octeville was established on 28 February 2000 by merger of the former communes of Cherbourg and Octeville.
Cherbourg-en-Cotentin is part of the arrondissement of Cherbourg, and of 6 cantons: Cherbourg-Octeville-1, Cherbourg-Octeville-2, Cherbourg-Octeville-3, Équeurdreville-Hainneville, La Hague and Tourlaville.
Public senior high schools/sixth-form colleges include:
- Lycée Jean-François Millet (former Cherbourg-Octeville)
- Lycée Victor Grignard (former Cherbourg-Octeville)
- Lycée Alexis de Tocqueville (former Cherbourg-Octeville)
Private senior high schools/sixth-form colleges include:
- Arrêté préfectoral 1 December 2015 (French)
- Décret 23 February 2000 (French)
- Home. Lycée Jean-François Millet. Retrieved on November 17, 2016.
- Home. Lycée Victor Grignard. Retrieved on November 17, 2016.
- Home. Lycée Alexis de Tocqueville. Retrieved on November 17, 2016.
- Home. Lycée privé Thomas Hélye. Retrieved on November 17, 2016.