Ace W. Mumford Stadium
|Former names||University Stadium|
|Location||Baton Rouge, Louisiana|
|Coordinates||30°31′19″N 91°11′22″W / 30.521862°N 91.189528°WCoordinates: 30°31′19″N 91°11′22″W / 30.521862°N 91.189528°W|
|Southern Jaguars (NCAA) (1928–present)|
Ace W. Mumford Stadium is a 28,500-seat multi-purpose stadium on the campus of Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It opened in 1928, and is home to the Southern University Jaguars and Southern Laboratory High School Kittens football teams, as well as the Southern University women's soccer team. The Roscoe Moore Track located in the stadium is home to the men's and women's track and field teams.
The stadium is named after coach A.W. "Ace" Mumford, the most successful coach in Southern University football history, who coached from 1937 until 1961.
In 2009, an extensive addition was completed in the North End Zone. 2,300 seats were added along with training, weight and conference rooms, coaches offices, student lounge, media rooms, memorabilia rooms, and 8 skybox suites.
The coaching records are as follows:
Southern University Head Football Coaching Records at Mumford
- Brice Taylor: 8 wins, 0 losses
- Cliff A. Purnell: 5 wins, 9 losses, and one tie
- A.W. "Ace" Mumford: 176 wins, 60 losses, and 14 ties
- Robert Lee: 9 wins, 5 losses
- Robert Smith: 14 wins, 5 losses, and one tie
- Alva Tabor: 7 wins, 6 losses, and two ties
- Charles Bates 20 wins, 7 losses, and one tie
- Ken Tillage (Interim, 1977) 0 wins, 1 loss
- Cass Jackson: 9 wins, 6 losses, and one tie
- Otis Washington: 19 wins, 11 losses
- Marino Casem: 8 wins, 7 losses
- Gerald Kimble: 7 wins, 5 losses, and one tie
- Pete Richardson: 134 wins, 62 losses
- Stump Mitchell: 3 wins, 7 losses
- Dawson Odums: Current Coach
- "Southern adding 6,000 seats to Mumford Stadium". The Advocate. Baton Rouge, LA. August 30, 1992. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- "Improving athletic facilities high on Southern priority list". The Advocate. Baton Rouge, LA. December 13, 1998. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
AW Mumford Stadium, which was built in 1928 and expanded in the late 1970s and early 1980s, is the only facility in Louisiana and the SWAC without an office complex.
- Hackett, Dana (September 18, 2009). "Southern's Mumford Stadium vandalized". WBRZ. Retrieved December 24, 2011.