1987 San Francisco Giants season
|1987 San Francisco Giants|
|NL West Champions|
Giants players standing for the national anthem at Candlestick Park in 1987.
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Al Rosen|
(Ron Fairly, Gary Park)
(Joe Morgan, Duane Kuiper)
(Ron Fairly, Wayne Hagin)
(Tito Fuentes, Edgard Martinez)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1987 San Francisco Giants season was the Giants' 105th season in Major League Baseball, their 30th season in San Francisco since their move from New York following the 1957 season, and their 28th at Candlestick Park. The Giants finished in first place in the National League West with a record of 90 wins and 72 losses. They lost the National League Championship Series in seven games to the St. Louis Cardinals. It was their first playoff appearance since 1971.
- October 16, 1986: Brad Gulden was released by the San Francisco Giants.
- October 16, 1986: Chuck Hensley was released by the San Francisco Giants.
- October 21, 1986: Mike Jeffcoat was released by the San Francisco Giants.
- February 4, 1987: Atlee Hammaker was signed as a free agent by the Giants.
- March 31, 1987: Dan Gladden and David Blakely (minors) were traded by the Giants to the Minnesota Twins for Jose Dominguez (minors), Ray Velasquez (minors) and a player to be named later. The Twins completed the deal by sending Bryan Hickerson to the Giants on June 15.
Opening Day starters
- Bob Brenly
- Chris Brown
- Will Clark
- Chili Davis
- Mike Krukow
- Jeffrey Leonard
- Candy Maldonado
- Robby Thompson
- José Uribe
|San Francisco Giants||90||72||0.556||—||46–35||44–37|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||73||89||0.451||17||40–41||33–48|
|San Diego Padres||65||97||0.401||25||37–44||28–53|
Record vs. opponents
1987 National League Records
- April 25, 1987: Colin Ward and Steve Miller (minors) were traded by the Giants to the San Diego Padres for Mark Wasinger and Tim Meagher (minors).
- May 28, 1987: Greg Minton was released by the Giants.
- June 2, 1987: Mike Benjamin was drafted by the Giants in the 3rd round of the 1987 Major League Baseball draft. Player signed June 14, 1987.
- July 5, 1987: Mark Davis, Chris Brown, Keith Comstock, and Mark Grant were traded by the Giants to the San Diego Padres for Dave Dravecky, Craig Lefferts, and Kevin Mitchell.
- July 31, 1987: Mackey Sasser and $50,000 were traded by the Giants to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Don Robinson.
- August 21, 1987: Jeff Robinson and Scott Medvin were traded by the Giants to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Rick Reuschel.
- September 1, 1987: Dave Henderson was acquired by the Giants from the Boston Red Sox for a player to be named later.
Major League debuts
- Kirt Manwaring (Sep 15)
- Jessie Reid (Sep 9)
- Mackey Sasser (Jul 17)
- Matt Williams (Apr 11)
Game log and schedule
|Bold||Giants team member|
|1987 Game Log (90–72) (Home: 46–35; Road: 44–37)|
April (16–7) (Home: 6–2; Road: 10–5)
May (11–15) (Home: 4–9; Road: 7–6)
June (11–16) (Home: 6–9; Road: 5–7)
July (14–13) (Home: 7–5; Road: 7–8)
August (18–11) (Home: 11–4; Road: 7–7)
September (18–8) (Home: 10–4; Road: 8–4)
October (2–2) (Home: 2–1; Road: 0–1)
|1987 Postseason Game Log|
|1987 San Francisco Giants|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|= Indicates team leader|
National League Championship Series
- Atlee Hammaker at Baseball Reference
- Dan Gladden at Baseball Reference
- Mark Wasinger at Baseball Reference
- Greg Minton at Baseball Reference
- Mike Benjamin at Baseball Reference
- Mark Davis at Baseball Reference
- Mackey Sasser at Baseball Reference
- Rick Reuschel at Baseball Reference
- Dave Henderson at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd and 3rd editions. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 1997 and 2007