1987 Los Angeles Dodgers season
|1987 Los Angeles Dodgers|
Dodger Stadium pictured beneath the Los Angeles skyline in 1987.
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Al Campanis, Fred Claire|
(Eddie Doucette, Al Downing, Rick Monday)
(Jaime Jarrín, René Cárdenas)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1987 Dodgers finished the season in fourth place in the Western Division of the National League.
- December 10, 1986: Acquired Matt Young from the Seattle Mariners for Dennis Powell and Mike Watters
- December 10, 1986: Acquired Tim Leary and Tim Crews from the Milwaukee Brewers for Greg Brock
- December 11, 1986: Acquired Alex Treviño from the San Francisco Giants for Candy Maldonado
- December 11, 1986: Acquired Ed Vande Berg from the Seattle Mariners for Steve Yeager
|San Francisco Giants||90||72||0.556||—||46–35||44–37|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||73||89||0.451||17||40–41||33–48|
|San Diego Padres||65||97||0.401||25||37–44||28–53|
Record vs. opponents
1987 National League Records
Opening Day starters
- May 6, 1987: Acquired Orlando Mercado from the Detroit Tigers for Balvino Gálvez
- May 22, 1987: Acquired John Shelby and Brad Havens from the Baltimore Orioles for Tom Niedenfuer
- May 29, 1987: Bill Madlock was released by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- June 19, 1987: Acquired Phil Garner from the Houston Astros for Jeff Edwards
- June 23, 1987: Acquired Bill Krueger from the Oakland Athletics for Tim Meeks
- August 17, 1987: Acquired Glenn Hoffman from the Boston Red Sox for Billy Bartels
- August 29, 1987: Acquired Tim Belcher from the Oakland Athletics for Rick Honeycutt
- September 21, 1987: Acquired Mike Sharperson from the Toronto Blue Jays for Juan Guzmán
1987 Los Angeles Dodgers
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
- 1987 Major League Baseball All-Star Game
- Comeback Player of the Year Award
- NL Pitcher of the Month
- Orel Hershiser (June 1987)
- NL Player of the Week
Teams in BOLD won League Championships
Major League Baseball Draft
The draft was altered this year and the January drafts and the secondary phase of the June draft were eliminated, leaving just the one June draft, which was expanded to more rounds to allow the Junior College players to be included. The Dodgers drafted 51 players in this draft, the largest collection of players they had ever drafted in one draft. Of those, ten of them would eventually play Major League baseball.
The top pick in this years draft was right handed pitcher Dan Opperman from Valley High School in Las Vegas, Nevada. However, Opperman injured his arm pitching in the state high school playoffs his Senior season and would not be able to pitch professionally until 1989. He would eventually play in parts of four seasons with the Dodgers farm teams in Vero Beach, San Antonio and the last two with the AAA Albuquerque Dukes. In 63 games (all but one as a starter) he had a record of 19-22 and an ERA of 3.95.
|1987 Draft Picks|
- Bill Madlock Statistics Baseball-Reference.com
- Mike Sharperson Statistics Baseball-Reference.com
- Juipe, Dean (December 28, 1999). "Opperman regains his footing". Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved November 6, 2014.
- 1987 Los Angeles Dodgers Picks in the MLB June Amateur Draft
- 1987 Los Angeles Dodgers uniform
- Los Angeles Dodgers official web site
- Baseball-Reference season page
- Baseball Almanac season page