1986 in association football
|Years in football (soccer):||1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989|
|Centuries:||19th century · 20th century · 21st century|
|Decades:||1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s|
|Years:||1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989|
The following are the football (soccer) events of the year 1986 throughout the world.
- March 11 – Germany's Sigfried Held makes his debut as the manager of Iceland, losing (1–2) against Bahrain.
- March 21 – Egypt wins the Africa Nations Cup in Cairo by defeating Cameroon on penalties (5–4), after a 0–0 draw after extra-time.
- June 22 – Diego Maradona scores a goal with his hand, and calls it Hand of God goal.
- June 29 – In the final of the 1986 FIFA World Cup, played for second time in Mexico City, Azteca Stadium, Argentina defeats West Germany 3–2 and wins their second World Cup title.
- European Cup: Steaua Bucureşti 0–0 F.C. Barcelona; Steaua Bucureşti won 2–0 on penalties
- UEFA Cup:Two legs; 1st leg Real Madrid C.F. 5–1 1. FC Köln; 2nd leg 1.FC Köln 2–0 Real Madrid CF. Real Madrid CF won 5–3 on aggregate
- UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: Dinamo Kiev 3–0 Atlético Madrid
- UEFA Super Cup: Steaua Bucureşti 1–0 Dinamo Kiev
- Copa Libertadores de América: Two legs; 1st leg América de Cali 1–2 River Plate; 2nd leg River Plate 1–0 América. River Plate won 3–1 on aggregate
- England – FA Cup: Liverpool won 3–1 over Everton
- England – Milk Cup (League Cup):: Oxford United won 3–0 over Queens Park Rangers
- November 6 – Alex Ferguson is appointed manager of Manchester United F.C.
- December 14 – Argentina's River Plate wins the Intercontinental Cup in Tokyo, Japan by defeating Romania's Steaua Bucureşti: 1–0. The only goal is scored by Antonio Alzamendi in the 28th minute.
Winners Club National Championship
- - Austria – Austria Wien
- - England – Liverpool F.C.
- - France – Paris Saint-Germain
- - Hungary – Budapest Honvéd FC
- - Ireland - Shamrock Rovers FC
- - Italy – Juventus Turin
- - Netherlands - PSV Eindhoven
- - Portugal – FC Porto
- - Romania – Steaua Bucureşti
- - Scotland – Celtic F.C.
- - Spain – Real Madrid
- - Turkey – Besiktas Istanbul
- - West Germany – FC Bayern Munich
- - Argentina – River Plate
- - Bolivia – The Strongest
- - Brazil – São Paulo
- - Colombia – América de Cali
- - Paraguay – Sol de América
- African Cup of Nations in Egypt (March 7 – 21 1986)
- FIFA World Cup in Mexico (May 31 – June 29, 1986)
- January 8 — Jorge Claros, Honduran footballer
- March 27 — Manuel Neuer, German footballer
- April 7 — Elton Jose Xavier Gomes, Brazilian footballer
- May 10 – Emilio Izaguirre, Honduran footballer
- May 27 – Mario Mandžukić, Croatian footballer
- September 28 — Andrés Guardado, Mexican footballer
- October 21 — Edemir Rodríguez, Bolivian footballer
- December 19 — Ryan Babel, Dutch footballer