1880 in art
Events from the year 1880 in art.
- October – Vincent van Gogh enrolls in a beginners art course at the Académie Royale des Beaux-Arts in Brussels.
- Fifth Impressionist exhibition in Paris, at 10 rue des Pyramides. The realist painter Jean-François Raffaëlli is also invited by Degas to exhibit.
- Silver Studio founded by Arthur Silver in London for textile and wallpaper design.
- Anton Mauve paints Changing Pasture; his palette and usage of colour influences Vincent van Gogh.
- Michael Ancher marries fellow painter Anna Brøndum.
- National Gallery of Canada established in Ottawa.
- Grand Prix de Rome, painting: Henri Lucien Doucet.
- Grand Prix de Rome, sculpture:
- Grand Prix de Rome, architecture:
- Grand Prix de Rome, music: Lucien Joseph Edouard Hillemacher.
- Goethe Monument (Berlin)
- Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi – The Lion of Belfort
- Marie Bashkirtseff – Self-portrait
- Arnold Böcklin – Isle of the Dead (German: Die Toteninsel, first two versions)
- Thomas Brock – A Moment of Peril (equestrian bronze)
- Lady Butler – The Defence of Rorke's Drift
- Alexandre Cabanel – Phèdre
- Gustave Caillebotte
- A Balcony
- Boulevard des Italiens
- Boulevard Seen from Above
- In a Café
- Interior, or Woman reading
- A refuge, boulevard Haussmann
- Man on the balcony, boulevard Haussmann
- Man with a top-hat, seated by a window
- Nude on a divan
- Carl Conrads - Alexander Hamilton (granite)
- Alphonse-Marie-Adolphe de Neuville – The Defence of Rorke's Drift, 1879
- Thomas Eakins – The Fairman Rogers Four-in-Hand
- Giovanni Fattori – Quadrato di Villafranca
- Charles Gauthier – Cléopâtre (plaster)
- James Clarke Hook – Home with the Tide
- Daniel Huntington – Portrait of John Adams Dix
- Ivan Kramskoi
- Sergey Botkin
- Ivan Shishkin
- Edward Lear – The Plains of Lombardy from Monte Generoso (Ashmolean Museum, Oxford)
- Albert Joseph Moore – Rose Leaves
- Adolph Alphonse de Neuville – The Defence of Rorke's Drift
- Frank O'Meara – Autumnal greys (Forest of Fontainbleau)
- William Quiller Orchardson – Napoleon on Board the Bellerophon
- Edward Poynter – A Visit to Aesculapius
- Viktor Vasnetsov – Flying Carpet
- Henry Tanworth Wells – Victoria Regina
- February 1 – C. T. Loo, Chinese-born art dealer (died 1957)
- February 8 – Franz Marc, German painter and printmaker, co-founder of Der Blaue Reiter (killed in action 1916)
- March 21 – Hans Hofmann, German-born abstract expressionist painter and teacher (died 1966)
- April 4 – William Russell Flint, Scottish-born watercolourist (died 1969)
- April 7 – Alexander Bogomazov, Ukrainian painter, artist and modern art theoretician of Russian avant-garde (died 1930)
- May 6 – Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, German expressionist painter, co-founder of Die Brücke (suicide 1938)
- June 10 – André Derain, French Fauvist painter (died 1954)
- August 2 – Arthur Dove, American painter (died 1946)
- August 22 – George Herriman, American cartoonist (Krazy Kat) (died 1944)
- November 19 – Jacob Epstein, American-born British sculptor (died 1959)
- January 4 – Anselm Feuerbach, German classicist painter (born 1829)
- February 19 – Constantino Brumidi, American historicist fresco painter (born 1805)
- September 8 – Wilhelm August Rieder, Austrian painter and draughtsman (born 1796)
- October 10 – Giampietro Campana, Italian art collector (born 1808)
- November 20 – Léon Cogniet, French historical and portrait painter (born 1794)
- date unknown
- "Impressionist Exhibitions in Paris (1874-86)". Encyclopedia of Art History. Retrieved 2015-06-17.