Young Democrats of America
|Young Democrats of America|
|Founded||March 4, 1932|
|Mother party||Democratic Party|
|International affiliation||International Federation of Liberal Youth|
The Young Democrats of America (YDA) was founded in 1932 as the official youth arm of the Democratic Party of the United States. YDA maintains a close and strong relationship with Democratic National Committee, although it now operates as a separate organization following the passage of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 and became an independent 527 group/"hybrid superPAC." The group's membership consists of Democrats ages 14–36, and its political activities tend to concentrate on increasing the voter turnout of young people and affecting the issues affecting that demographic group. It tends to be somewhat more focused on political activism than the party at large.
2015–17 YDA Leadership
YDA membership elects seven national officers biannually at the organization's National Convention in odd-numbered years and two DNC representatives in even-numbered years. These officers maintain the day-to-day management of the organization. The officers were elected at the 2015 YDA National Convention in Los Angeles, CA.
Between national conventions, the governing body of YDA is the National Committee which is composed of the president, the national committeeman and committeewoman of each chartered state federation, along with the chairs of the twelve constituency caucuses and the eight regional directors.
The President, Democratic National Committeeman, and Democratic National Committeewoman are automatic members of the Democratic National Committee, and superdelegates to any Democratic National Convention occurring during their terms.
National Elected Officers
- President: Louis Elrod of Georgia
- Executive Vice President: Constantina Meis of New Jersey
- Vice President: Kristina Fox of Rhode Island
- Vice President: Danielle Glover of Colorado
- Vice President: Daniel Sims of Arkansas
- Secretary: Quentin Wathum-Ocama of Ohio
- Treasurer: Drew Pollom of Washington
- Democratic National Committeeman: John Keller of Illinois - (Term 2016–18)
- Democratic National Committeewoman: Akilah Ensley of North Carolina - (Term 2016–18)
- "Young Democrats of America - Marin County Young Democrats". WordPress. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- Connery, Michael. Youth to Power: How Today's Young Voters Are Building Tomorrow's Democratic Majority, ig Publishing, 2008 ISBN 978-0-9788431-3-7