Davis signing autographs at the 2015 Pro Bowl
|No. 21 Indianapolis Colts|
|Date of birth:||May 27, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Washington, D.C.|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||207 lb (94 kg)|
|High school:||Washington (DC) Dunbar|
|NFL Draft:||2009 / Round: 1 / Pick: 25|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 8, 2016|
Vontae O. Davis // (born May 27, 1988) is an American football cornerback for the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Illinois, and was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft.
Davis attended Dunbar High School, where he was a letterman in football and track. He played football as a cornerback and wide receiver. During his senior season he recorded 38 tackles and 8 interceptions and achieved many awards and honors including Washington Post first-team All-Metro, PrepStar All-American, DCIAA West first-team All-Conference, and D.C. Gatorade Player of the Year.
In track & field, Davis was one of the district's top sprinters. As a senior in 2006, he recorded personal-best times of 10.97 seconds in the 100-meter dash and 22.78 seconds in the 200-meter dash at the DCIAA East/West Championships, placing first in both events. He also recorded a 4.40-second 40-yard dash and a 33-inch vertical jump.
Davis chose Illinois over Maryland, Michigan State, and Virginia. Davis had a great freshman season recording 30 tackles and intercepting one pass. He was named to the Freshman All-America first teams by The Sporting News, Scout.com and Rivals.com and was also the Illini's Rookie of the Year. In 2007 he started all 12 games he played recording 56 tackles, including 13 in the Rose Bowl against USC, and was tied for third in the Big Ten with four interceptions. After his junior season he declared that he would forgo his senior season and become eligible for the 2009 NFL Draft.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|5 ft 11⅝ in||201 lb||4.49 s||1.47 s||2.53 s||4.07 s||6.75 s||37 in||10 ft 5 in||25 reps||33|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Davis was signed by the Dolphins to a five-year deal with a guarantee in excess of $7 million. Davis recorded his first career interception in Week 4 of the 2009 season against Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards, returning it 23 yards for a touchdown. Davis finished his rookie season with 53 tackles, four interceptions, and 11 pass deflections. Pro Football Weekly selected him on its annual All-Rookie team.
During the 2011 preseason, Davis boasted that he and cornerback Sean Smith were the "best (cornerback) tandem in the league". However, his first two games were forgettable as New England's Tom Brady passed for 517 yards in the season opener, and Davis had no passes defended or interceptions in either game. He also had to leave both of the first two games with injuries including cramps in week 1 and a hamstring injury in Miami's week 2 loss against the Houston Texans.
On August 26, 2012, Davis was traded to the Indianapolis Colts for a second-round draft pick. On March 11, 2014, Davis re-signed with the Colts on a 4-year, $39 million deal. After having one of the best years of any cornerback in the league during the 2014–15 season by leading the NFL in lowest opposing passer rating (38.8), he was named to his first-career Pro Bowl on December 23, 2014.
Vontae is the younger brother of Washington Redskins' tight end Vernon Davis. In June 2009, several media outlets reported that Davis was stopped and arrested for traffic infractions in Champaign, Illinois, then turned out to be an identity theft incident after Davis' wallet was stolen. In June 2015, Davis married his longtime girlfriend Megan.
- "Rivals.com Cornerbacks 2006". January 30, 2006.
- Top corner Davis to go pro
- "Vontae Davis, Malcolm Jenkins are top DB prospects for NFL Draft", Sports Illustrated, February 19, 2009, retrieved May 27, 2010
- Berardino, Mike (July 31, 2009), "Vontae Davis agrees to terms with Miami Dolphins", South Florida Sun-Sentinel
- Thompson, Edgar (October 4, 2009), "Miami Dolphins' defense racks up six sacks and three interceptions while beating Buffalo", Palm Beach Post
- Blunda, Michael (Jan 20, 2010), "Receivers, 'backers stand out on All-Rookie team", Pro Football Weekly
- Matt Forman (2011-08-26). "Vontae Davis: Miami Dolphins' corners are best in NFL". Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- The Sports Network (2011-09-12). "Brady sets Patriots passing records". Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Armando Salguero (2011-09-20). "Wildcat 2.0 may be in play for Miami Dolphins". Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- McIntyre, Brian (August 26, 2012). "Dolphins to trade Vontae Davis to Colt for draft pick". NFL.com. Retrieved 2012-08-26.
- "Vontae Davis re-signs with Colts". ESPN. March 11, 2014. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "2015 Pro Bowl: Complete roster". NFL.com. December 23, 2014. Retrieved December 23, 2014.
- Bowen, Kevin (September 18, 2013). "Colts Vontae and 49ers Vernon Davis will finally settle sibling rivalry on Sunday". colts.com. Retrieved October 10, 2014.
- Frias, Carlos (June 27, 2009), "Vontae Davis identity theft incident is another reminder for athletes", Palm Beach Post
- "Vontae Davis' Identity Stolen", Bleacher Report, June 23, 2009
- Hunsinger Benbow, Dana (June 29, 2015). "Colts' Vontae Davis marries longtime girlfriend". indystar.com. Retrieved August 8, 2015.