Hood with the Washington Redskins in 2016
|No. 90 Washington Redskins|
|Date of birth:||February 16, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Amarillo, Texas|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||305 lb (138 kg)|
|High school:||Amarillo (TX) Palo Duro|
|NFL Draft:||2009 / Round: 1 / Pick: 32|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2015|
Evander "Ziggy" Hood (born February 16, 1987) is an American football defensive end for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League. He played college football at Missouri, and was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft. Hood has also played for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Chicago Bears.
Hood attended Palo Duro High School in Amarillo, Texas, where he was a two-sport star in both football and track. In high school football, he earned All-District honors his junior and senior seasons. As a junior, he made 76 tackles, including 5.0 sacks and returned an interception for a touchdown. As a senior, he was named 3-4A Defensive Player of the Year after making 93 tackles, including 13.0 sacks, and scoring three defensive touchdowns.
Hood played college football at the University of Missouri. During his college career, he played defensive tackle. He finished with 170 tackles (98 solos), 15.5 sacks, 22.5 tackles for loss and 22 quarterback pressures. He also had five forced fumbles, recovering three.
He was selected in the first round, 32nd overall, by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2009 NFL Draft. He moved to defensive end in the Steelers' 3–4 defense, and served as a rotational back-up in his rookie year. Hood recorded both his first sack and first recovered fumble against the Baltimore Ravens on December 27, 2009.
On March 13, 2014, Hood signed a four-year, $16 million contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
On February 2, 2016, Hood signed a one-year contract with the Washington Redskins.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
Hood was named by his father after former professional boxer Evander Holyfield, who his father was a fan of. As a child, his Mexican grandmother could not correctly pronounce Evander, so she started calling him by her favorite cartoon character, Ziggy.
- "Ziggy Hood statistics". National Football League. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Ziggy Hood agrees to terms with Jacksonville Jaguars
- "Bears release Ratliff, ink Ziggy Hood". www.chicagobears.com. Retrieved 2015-12-16.
- "Bears promote Timu, waive Hood". www.chicagobears.com. Retrieved 2015-12-16.
- Keim, John (February 2, 2016). "Redskins look to bolster DL depth, sign veteran Ziggy Hood". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 2, 2016.
- "Ziggy Hood Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- Kring-Schreifels, Jake. "How Evander 'Ziggy' Hood Got His Name". Redskins.com. Retrieved 12 May 2016.