University of Florida College of Medicine
|College of Medicine|
|Parent institution||Health Science Center|
|Academic affiliation||University of Florida|
|Location||Gainesville, Florida, United States|
|Dean||Dr. Michael L. Good|
The University of Florida College of Medicine is the medical school of the University of Florida. It is part of the J. Hillis Miller Health Science Center, with facilities in Gainesville and Jacksonville, Florida. The college grants the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), Doctor of Medicine-Doctor of Philosophy (M.D.-Ph.D.), and Physician Assistant (P.A.) degrees to its graduates.
The college was officially established in 1956. The founding Dean of the college was Dr. George T. Harrell. Dr. Harrell also founded the College of Medicine at Pennsylvania State University, becoming the first person to found two medical schools.
In March 2009, the college received the largest donation in its history. Jerry and Judy Davis donated $20 million to the College of Medicine to support teaching, research and programs in cancer, with special emphasis on research in lymphoma, breast cancer, bone marrow and gastrointestinal cancer.
U.S. News and World Report ranked the College of Medicine 42nd out of 122 research-intensive medical schools in the U.S. in 2010.
The University's teaching hospital, Shands at the University of Florida, is nationally ranked in 7 specialties.
Admission to the University of Florida College of Medicine is considered to be highly competitive. For the M.D. class of 2015, 136 students enrolled out of 2,853 applicants. The class' undergraduate average GPA was 3.75, while the average MCAT was 31.06. According to Dr. Gessner, former chair of the selection committee, the UF College of Medicine is a top choice for students if they want to receive a medical education in the state.
Deans of the College of Medicine
|1953–1964||George T. Harrell|
|1980–1989||J. Lee Dockery|
|2002–2007||C. Craig Tisher|
|2007–2008||Bruce C. Kone|
|2008–present||Michael L. Good|
Deans of the College of Medicine
- University of Florida
- J. Hillis Miller Health Science Center
- University of Florida College of Medicine-Jacksonville
- Shands at the University of Florida
- Shands Jacksonville
- McKnight Brain Institute
- University of Florida Cancer Hospital
- "University of Florida College of Medicine 2010" (PDF). News.health.ufl.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- Chun, Diane (2009-03-02). "Couple donate $21 million to Shands Cancer Center". Gainesville.com. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- "COM rises in U.S. News rankings » insider – UF College of Medicine News Resource – University of Florida". News.medinfo.ufl.edu. 2010-04-16. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- "UF Health Shands Hospital". Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Academic Ranking of World Universities in Clinical Medicine and Pharmacy - 2012 - 2012 Top 100 Universities in Clinical Medicine and Pharmacy - ARWU-FIELD 2012". Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "A week of firsts for new med students » insider – UF College of Medicine News Resource – University of Florida". News.medinfo.ufl.edu. 2011-08-23. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- MAGGIE LAWRENCE; Alligator Contributing Writer (2008-07-31). "UF med school application rate strong despite new Florida schools - The Independent Florida Alligator: Campus". Alligator.org. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- Official University of Florida College of Medicine website
- Gainesville Sun info about the College
- Gainesville Sun Article about the College's rankings
- Interdisciplinary Programs by the College
- Alligator article about the rankings
- Medical Informatics about the College of Medicine
- Alligator article about the founder of the College
- U.S. News & World Report list of top medical schools for 2008