The Boston Journal
The April 10, 1865 front page of
The Boston Daily Journal
|Owner(s)||John Sherburne Sleeper, John A. Dix, Henry Rogers (1837); Col. W. W. Clapp (1886); John H. Higgins (1917)|
|Publisher||Journal Newspaper Company|
|Founded||February 5, 1833|
|Ceased publication||October 1917 (merged with The Boston Herald)|
|Headquarters||264 Washington Street, Boston, Massachusetts United States|
- Charles Carleton Coffin, war correspondent who wrote dispatches from the front under the byline "Carlton".
- Thomas Freeman Porter
- Benjamin Perley Poore, Washington correspondent and war correspondent who wrote under the byline "Perley".
- John Sherburne Sleeper, principal editor and part owner of the newspaper. Sleeper wrote the Journal's "Tales of the Seas" under his nom de plume of Hawser Martingale.
- Boston Morning Journal, 1852
- Boston Journal building, 19th century
- Detail of 1881 map of Boston, showing location of Journal office
- Boston Sunday Journal "Bicycle Number," May 1896
- "Boston Papers Merged.; Herald Absorbs The Journal and Will Use the Joint Title". The New York Times. October 6, 1917. p. 12.
- Stanwood, Edward (1886), Boston Illustrated, Boston and New York: James R. Osgood & Co., and Houghton Mifflin & Co, p. 102
- "James H. Higgins, Retired Publisher; Also Was Treasurer of Boston Herald for 10 Years After Merger With Traveler Dies at Central Valley In 1917 He Bought The Boston Journal and Consolidated It With The Herald. The New York Times, page 13, August 1, 1938.
- Bacon, Edwin Munroe (1886), Bacon's Dictionary of Boston, Boston, Massachusetts and New York, New York: Houghton Mifflin & Co, The Riverside Press, p. 220.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boston Journal.|
- Bostonian Society. Photo of billboards hanging from the Boston Journal Building at 264 Washington Street, April 1898