Society for New Music
|Founded at||Syracuse, New York, United States|
|Coordinates||43°02′07″N 76°05′51″W / 43.035172°N 76.097489°W|
|Central New York|
The Society for New Music (SNM) is a contemporary classical music organization based in Syracuse, New York. SNM presents concerts devoted entirely to contemporary music, funds commissions, produces recordings and presents awards to young composers.
Mission and Work
SNM commissions new works, and advocates for composers through Society News (their in-house print and digital publication) and via their radio show, Fresh Ink. on WCNY-FM. SNM provides regional musicians with opportunities to perform music by their peers. Works are offered on television, radio, and live performances.
Since its inception, SNM has commissioned new works by over fifty composers from the Central New York region, including faculty from Syracuse University, the Eastman School of Music, Cornell University, and many other schools in the area. Many of the composers have won significant awards, such as the Pulitzer Prize in music.
SNM Commissioned Composers
- Elizabeth Alexander
- Howard Boatwright
- Paul Brantley
- Ron Caltabiano
- Lorne Covington
- Nicholas D'Angelo
- Rob Deemer
- Joseph Downing
- Stephen Ferre
- Earl George
- Daniel Strong Godfrey
- Jorge Villavicencio Grossmann
- Sydney Hodkinson
- Christopher Hopkins
- Brian Israel
- Ping Jin
- Robert Keefe
- Sally Lamb McCune
- Greg Levin
- Malcolm Lewis
- Harris Lindenfeld
- David Liptak
- Zhuang Liu
- Marc Mellits
- Dexter Morrill
- Franklin Morris
- Robert Morris
- Mark Olivieri
- Robert Moffat Palmer
- Samuel Pellman
- Burrill Phillips
- Douglas Quin
- George Rochberg
- Christopher Rouse
- Edward Ruchalski
- Carlos Sanchez-Gutierrez
- Nicolas Scherzinger
- Roberto Sierra
- Ann Silsbee
- Rob Smith
- Steven Stucky
- Augusta Read Thomas
- Zhou Tian
- Dan Trueman
- Melinda Wagner
- Gregory Wanamaker
- Richard Wernick
- James Willey
- Dana Wilson
- "Doctuh" Michael Woods
- Ricardo Zohn-Muldoon
The Society for New Music has released recordings on a variety of labels, including Innova Recordings, Composers Recordings, Inc. (CRI) and Mode Records. SNM's "American Masters for the 21st Century" on Innova currently includes five albums dedicated to music by living American composers.
Brian Israel Prize
Since 1985, SNM has awarded prizes to composers under age 30. The annual award honors the memory of American composer Brian Israel "who died from leukemia at the age of 35 in in 1986. He was on Syracuse University's School of Music faculty at the time of his death. During his short life, Israel championed gifted emerging composers." Winners receive performances of a chamber work, either of the work that won the award, or a different work.
Brian Israel Prize Winners and Honorable Mentions
- (2015) Winners: Alex Burtzos (SNM), Scott Etan Feiner (NY Federation of Music Clubs); Honorable Mentions: Bin David Li, J. P. Redmond
- (2014) Winners: John Liberatore (SNM), Michael Boyman (NY Federation of Music Clubs); Honorable Mentions: JunYi Chow, Ross Scott Griffey
- (2013) Winners: Juan Pablo Contreras (SNM), Amit Menahem Gilutz (NY Federation of Music Clubs); Honorable Mentions: Eric Allen, Ross Scott Griffey, Nathan Heidelberger
- (2012) Winners: Ted Goldman (SNM), Joseph Nathaniel Rubinstein (NY Federation of Music Clubs); Honorable Mentions: Amit Menahem Gilutz, Justin Paul Jaramillo, Brandon Luis Ridenour, Harry Stafylakis
- (2011) Winners: Thomas H. Healy (SNM), Bret Bohman (NY Federation of Music Clubs); Honorable Mentions: Evan Antonellis, Thomas Arthur Murphy, Jessica Lynn Rudman
- (2010) Winners: Michael Gilbertson (SNM), Chris Rogerson (NY Federation of Music Clubs); Honorable Mentions: Evan Antonellis, Lembit Lepasaar Beecher
- (2009) Winners: David Crowell (SNM), Samson Young (NY Federation of Music Clubs); Honorable Mention: Evan Antonellis, Matthew Barson, Elizabeth Lim
- (2008) Winners: Baljinder Singh Sekhon (SNM), Eleanor Aversa (NY Federation of Music Clubs), Andy Akiho (SNM 3rd Prize); Honorable Mentions: Dillon Kondor, Gity Razaz, David Salvage, Sheridan Seyfried, Sundar Subramanian, Daniel Wohl, Scott Wollschleger
- (2007): Winners: Nicholas Omiccioli (SNM), Eric Nathan (NY Federation of Music Clubs); Honorable Mentions: Eleanor Aversa, Ryan Carter, Jeff Myers, Gity Razaz, Shogo Samata
- (2006): Winners: Christopher Doll (SNM), Ryan Gallagher (NY Federation of Music Clubs); Honorable Mentions: John Paul Brabant, Chris Rogerson, Robert Singley
- (2005) Winners: Patrick Castillo (SNM), Eric Schwartz (NY Federation of Music Clubs); Honorable Mention: Christopher Tignor
- (2004) Winners: Adam Schoenberg (SNM), Jesse Wright-Fitzgerald (NY Federation of Music Clubs); Honorable Mentions: John Arrigo-Nelson, Vera Ivanova, Peter Kim
- (2003) Winners: Evan Johnson (SNM), Philip Rothman (NY Federation of Music Clubs)
- (2002) Winner: Huang Ruo
- (2001) Winner: Winnie Wing-Yee Cheung
- (2000) Winner: Mark Dennis McConnell
- (1999) Winner: Robert Paterson
- (1998) Winner: Damon Lee
- (1997) Winner: Derek Bermel; Honorable Mention: Ann Lathan Kerzner
- (1996) Winner: Yuzuru Sadashige
- (1995) Winner: Anna Weesner
- (1994) Winner: Michael Sidney Timpson
- (1993) Winner: Sally Lamb McCune; Honorable Mention: David Lefkowitz
- (1992) Winner: Michele Frida Green; Honorable Mention: David Lefkowitz
- (1991) Winner: Kent Marks; Honorable Mention: Nolan Gasser
- (1990) Winner: Alton Howe Clingan; Honorable Mention: Sean MacLean
- (1989) Winner: Betsy L. Schramm; Honorable Mention: Stephen Taylor
- (1988) Winner: Ronn Yedidia
- (1987) Winner: Christopher Keyes; Honorable Mention: Jeremy Beck, Robert C. May
- (1986) Winner: Donald Sloan; Honorable Mention: Linda Bouchard, Lowell Liebermann
- (1985) Winner: Matthew Harris; Honorable Mention: Dan May, Michael Torke
- "Neva Pilgrim, Soprano". DRAM. DRAM. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- "Society for New Music". Innova. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- "Society for New Music - About". Society for New Music. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Duffie, Bruce. "Soprano Neva Pilgrim: A Conversation with Bruce Duffie". bruceduffie.com. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- "Fresh Ink Broadcasts". Society for New Music. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- Dubnoff, Haley. "WCNY-FM host Neva Pilgrim honored by The Syracuse Sounds of Music Association". WCNY. WCNY. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- PRB. "Society for New Music Archives, Special Collections Research Center, Syracuse University Libraries". Syracuse University. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- Johnson, Melinda. "Two young composers win Brian M. Israel Prize; Society for New Music to perform pieces". The Post Standard. Advance Digital. Syracuse.com. Retrieved 19 July 2015.