Shipping Commissioners Act of 1872
Among other things, the act:
- was passed to combat crimps.
- required that a sailor had to sign on to a ship in the presence of a federal shipping commissioner.
- required that a seaman be paid off in person.
- Bauer, K. Jack (1988). A Maritime History of the United States: The Role of America's Seas and Waterways. Columbia, South Carolina: University of South Carolina. ISBN 0-87249-519-1.
- "Andrew Furuseth Special Edition" (PDF). West Coast Sailors, March 12, 2004. Retrieved March 21, 2007.