Schützenpanzer SPz 11-2 Kurz
|Schützenpanzer SPz 11-2 Kurz|
Two Schützenpanzer Kurz vehicles at Bundeswehrmuseum Dresden.
|Type||Armored Reconnaissance Vehicle|
|Place of origin||France and West Germany|
|Weight||8,200 kg (18,100 lb)|
|Armor||15 mm at 62° of chrome-nickel-molybdenum|
|1 x 20 mm Hispano-Suiza 820/L85 Cannon|
|3 x Smoke grenade launchers|
1 x Hotchkiss et Cie 6-cylinder petrol engine|
164 hp (122 kW)
|390 km (244 miles)|
The Schützenpanzer SPz 11-2 Kurz armored reconnaissance vehicle was developed for the West German army and was a minor modification of a French designed vehicle (Hotchkiss SP1A). During the period between 1958 and 1962, the West German army received some 2,374 of these light armoured vehicles with the SPz 11-2 Kurz being developed as the reconnaissance version. The SPz 11-2 served in cannon platoons of armored infantry battalions until 1974 and remained in service as a reconnaissance vehicle until 1982. The SPz 11-2 was replaced in the reconnaissance role by the Spähpanzer Luchs. The SPz 11-2 saw service with the West Germany army only.
The only armament for the SPz 11-2 was the 20 mm Hispano-Suiza 820/L35 cannon. The cannon has a 15x15 periscopic sight. 500 rounds of 20 mm ammunition were carried. Three smoke grenade launchers are provided for tactical and emergency concealment.
- Sanitätspanzer kurz 2-2 - Medevac vehicle.
- Beobachtungspanzer 22-2 - Forward Observer vehicle.
- Mörserträger 51-2 - 81 mm mortar carrier.
- Radarpanzer 91-2 - Vehicle equipped with AN/TPS-33 radar.
- Nachschubpanzer 42-1 - Supply vehicle with four road wheels, originally the Hotchkiss CC-2-55 design. Used from 1958 until 1962.
- Spähpanzer SP I.C. - Light tank armed with a 90 mm gun
- Janes Armour and Artillery, 1981-82, p. 150.
- panzerbaer.de page on the SPz 11-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Schützenpanzer Kurz.|
- (German) SPz kurz at Panzerbaer.de
- (German) SPz kurz photo gallery at Hartziel.de
- Webpage about the Hotchkiss