Canal boats moored in Sawley Marina
Sawley shown within Derbyshire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Sawley is a village and civil parish within the Borough of Erewash, in southeast Derbyshire, England. Around 20,126 people live in the parish. with a slightly higher than average number of people over 65. The population of just the civil parish was measured at 6,629 as at the 2011 Census.
Every year around the August Bank Holiday, Sawley All Saints holds a flower festival, with themed floral displays inside the church and a beer festival held in the village. There are several events throughout the year including a May Day festival, and a Garden Trail.
The old name for Sawley was Sallé. Between Sawley and Church Wilne and Great Wilne is the junction of the River Derwent and the Trent. It is to this that Sawley owes it position. The church of All Saints is thirteenth century and contains Saxon and Norman work. and commands a position on a small rise near the river.
In 2009 Sawley was blighted with a smell coming from waste products being legally dumped onto nearby farmland. The smell was dubbed the Sawley Stink. A dedicated group of local residents campaigned successfully to put an end to the process and Sawley was soon free of the stink.
Opposite from Sawley churches is Bothe Hall once owned by the Booth family. The Booths were a wealthy landowning family from Cheshire whose principal seat was at Dunham Massey. Bothe Hall was probably built between 1660 and 1680, and has an interior that contains some exposed ceiling beams and a regency staircase.
Other buildings of interest in the area include Sawley Baptist Church, which was built in the 1800.
- John Clifford - Campaigner for educational reform and anti-war campaigner was born here in 1836
- Nellie Dicken - Maternal grandmother of American actress Hallie Berry was born here in 1911. She emigrated to the United States from Liverpool with her family the following year.
- Research and Information Team, Derbyshire County Council (2003). "2001 Census Summary Profile: Sawley" (PDF). Archived from the original (pdf) on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2008-02-04.
- "Civil parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- Sawley marina website
- "Sawley". The Long Eaton & Sawley Archive. Retrieved 2008-02-04.
- "Welcome to Sawley Parish Council". sawleyparishcouncil.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-02-04.
- "John Clifford". A Dictionary of Methodism in Ireland and England. Retrieved 2008-02-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sawley, Derbyshire.|