|University||University of Portland|
|Conference||West Coast Conference|
|Athletic director||Scott Leykam|
|Basketball arena||Chiles Center|
|Baseball stadium||Joe Etzel Field|
|Soccer stadium||Merlo Field|
|Mascot||Wally the Pilot|
|Fight song||"University of Portland Victory March 1984"|
Purple and White|
The Pilots started to gain attention when Clive Charles began coaching the women's soccer team in 1989. He already had been the men's soccer coach since 1986, and he continued to coach both teams until his death in 2003. He was replaced by Bill Irwin. The women's soccer team won national championships in 2002 and 2005 and were led by numerous national-level players (see "notable alumni athletes" section). Additionally, the men's soccer team has been to the College Cup twice in its history: 1988 and 1995.
In addition to soccer, UP consistently has one of the top cross country programs in the nation. Their men's team, coached by Rob Conner, won their 34th overall West Coast Conference championship in October, 2014. The men's team has finished among the top 10 at the NCAA championships five times in its history. In 2001 and 2008, the Pilots finished 7th. In 2014, the Pilots finished 3rd, their highest ever finish. In 2008, David Kinsella finished 4th overall, the highest any Pilot has ever placed individually at the national championships.
The Pilots have had success in other sports as well. The men's basketball team has gone to the NCAA tournament twice (1959 and 1996). Their women's basketball team has gone to the NCAA Tournament four times (1994-1997) and the WNIT twice (1998 and 2009). Their baseball team has also gone to the NCAA tournament five times (1957, 1958, 1979, 1989, and 1991).
UP has not fielded a football team since 1950.
Men's intercollegiate sports
Women's intercollegiate sports
- ^ = The men's and women's track and field teams compete as independents.
- * = Beach volleyball is a fully sanctioned NCAA sport which had its first national championship in the spring of 2016.
- Football (discontinued after 1950)
- Men's and women's golf (discontinued after 2011)
- NAIA Women's Cross Country (1): 1985
- NCAA Women's Soccer (2): 2002, 2005
The Pilots compete in the West Coast Conference, which they joined in 1976. Below are a few of their conference titles:
- Men's Basketball WCC Tournament Champions (1): 1996
- Men's Cross Country (34): 2014, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1988, 1987, 1986, 1985, 1984, 1983, 1982, 1981, 1980, 1979
- Men's Golf (2): 1993, 1985
- Men's Soccer (7): 2016, 2002, 1995, 1992, 1990, 1989, 1988
- Women's Basketball WCC Tournament Champions (1): 1994; Regular Season Champions (3): 1997, 1996, 1992
- Women's Cross County (20): 2016, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1989, 1988, 1987
- Women's Soccer (13): 2013, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2000, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1992
The Portland Pilots play home soccer matches at Merlo Field, part of the Clive Charles Soccer Complex. All volleyball and basketball games are held in the Chiles Center. The baseball team plays in Joe Etzel Field. The Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center is home to the tennis teams.
- Yari Allnutt, men's soccer, United States: 1996 Summer Olympics
- Josh Ilustre, men's track and field, Guam: 2016 Summer Olympics
- Kasey Keller, men's soccer, United States: 1996 Summer Olympics
- Stephanie Lopez, women's soccer, United States: gold medalist in 2008 Summer Olympics
- Shannon MacMillan, women's soccer, United States: gold medalist in 1996 Summer Olympics, silver medalist in 2000 Summer Olympics
- Derek Mandell, men's track and field, Guam: 2008 Summer Olympics, 2012 Summer Olympics
- Tiffeny Milbrett, women's soccer, United States: gold medalist in 1996 Summer Olympics, silver medalist in 2000 Summer Olympics
- Megan Rapinoe, women's soccer, United States: gold medalist in 2012 Summer Olympics, 2016 Summer Olympics
- Sophie Schmidt, women's soccer, Canada: bronze medalist in 2012 Summer Olympics, bronze medalist in 2016 Summer Olympics
- Christine Sinclair, women's soccer, Canada: bronze medalist in 2012 Summer Olympics, bronze medalist in 2016 Summer Olympics
Notable alumni athletes
- Portland Pilots men's basketball
- 2012–13 Portland Pilots women's basketball team
- Portland Pilots men's soccer
- University of Portland Brand Book. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "NCAA DII, DIII membership approves Sand Volleyball as 90th championship". NCAA. January 17, 2015. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- NCAA Website "A very gracious man" Sep 29, 2003 by Beth Rosenburg