Parliament of Kazakhstan
|Parliament of Kazakhstan |
Senate (upper house)|
Majilis (lower house)
Chairman of the Majilis
Senate: 47 (40 elected and 7 appointment by the president)
Mazhilis: 107 (98 seats from party lists & 9 from the Assembly of People of Kazakhstan
Nur Otan (84) |
Bright Path (7)
|proportional representation (In the Assembly)|
|Kazakhstani legislative election, 2012|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
The Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan (Kazakh: Қазақстан Республикасының Парламенті, Qazaqstan Respuwblïkasınıñ Parlamenti) is the bicameral legislature of Kazakhstan, according to the 1995 Constitution of Kazakhstan. The lower house is the Majilis, with 107 seats, (98 seats are from party lists, 9 - from Assembly of People) and are elected to four year terms.
The upper house is the Senate, which has 47 members.
Its predecessor was the Supreme Soviet.
Kazakhstan held elections to the Senate (Majilis) on 1 October 2014. According to the Central Electoral Commission of Kazakhstan, it was "an open and democratic electoral process". The OSCE commented that "Preparations for the 26 April election were efficiently administered, however, necessary reforms for holding genuine democratic elections still have to materialize. The predominant position of the incumbent and the lack of genuine opposition limited voter choice. A restricted media environment stifled public debate and freedom of expression.
About 250 observers from the Commonwealth of Independent States and the Shanghai Cooperation Organization were present for the voting. Four women were among the 80 candidates vying for the 16 open Senate seats. The results to be announced on 7 October 2014.
- List of Chairmen of the Supreme Soviet of the Kazakh Soviet Socialist Republic
- Politics of Kazakhstan
- List of legislatures by country
- List of political parties in Kazakhstan
- Kazakhstan: Presidential adviser spells out advances by women RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty
- "Kazakhstan holds Senate elections "without incident"". Fox News Latino.
- "OSCE ELECTION OBSERVATION MISSION Republic of Kazakhstan - Early Presidential Election , 2 April 2015 STATEMENT OF PRELIMINARY FINDINGS AND CONCLUSIONS". Retrieved 15 March 2016.