Casal Paola, Casal Nuovo
Church of Christ the King
|Coordinates: 35°52′22″N 14°30′27″E / 35.87278°N 14.50750°ECoordinates: 35°52′22″N 14°30′27″E / 35.87278°N 14.50750°E|
|Region||South Eastern Region|
|District||Southern Harbour District|
|Founded by||Antoine de Paule|
|Borders||Cospicua, Fgura, Luqa, Marsa, Santa Luċija, Tarxien|
|• Mayor||Dominic Grima (PL)|
|• Total||2.5 km2 (1.0 sq mi)|
|Population (March 2014)|
|• Density||3,100/km2 (8,100/sq mi)|
Pawlist (m), Pawlista (f), Pawlisti (pl)
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||MT-39|
|Patron saint||Christ the King; Our Lady of Lourdes|
|Day of festa||4th Sunday of July; 1st Sunday after 15 August|
Paola (Maltese: Raħal Ġdid, Italian: Casal Nuovo, both meaning "New Town") is a town in the South Eastern Region of Malta, with a population of 7,864 people (March 2014). It is named after Grand Master Antoine de Paule, who laid the foundation stone in 1626. To encourage migration to Paola de Paul gave indemnity to the debts of the families who moved there. This account was recorded for the first time by de Solidanis in the eighteenth century. He says that in 1750 the village was not yet a parish on its own (part of Hal Taxien). Paola became almost deserted due to a local disease, but became increasingly habitable after intervention by captain Hunn.
Paola is renowned for the Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum, its large parish church (the largest church in the Maltese Islands), its beautiful square with shopping centres, the Good Friday procession, and its football club, Hibernians FC.
The feast of Christ the King is celebrated on the fourth Sunday of July and Our Lady of Lourdes is celebrated on the first Sunday after 17 August.
The parish also has a Franciscan church dedicated to Saint Anthony, in the Għajn Dwieli zone of the parish. St. Ubaldesca Church is the oldest church in Paola and was the first parish church there. In 2008 the church underwent minimal restoration. Villa Perellos, which is dedicated to the homonymous grand master, is a landmark of historical importance for the locality.
Mariam Al-Batool Mosque, the only mosque in Malta, as well as an Islamic Cultural Centre are found in Paola. The country's correctional facilities and the largest burial grounds, the Addolorata Cemetery are also in this town.
The town is a commercial centre in the Southern Harbour area of Malta, about 5 km from the capital Valletta.
Although Paola was founded in the 17th century, several megalithic remains have been found within the locality.
The Hypogeum has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Hypogeum is a labyrinthine complex of man-made chambers hewn out of the limestone extending some 11 metres below ground. It appears to have been used both as a burial site and as a temple. Neolithic man carved out the Hypogeum using only antlers and stone picks as tools, and in semi darkness. The Hypogeum is made up of three superimposed levels. The upper level resembles the earlier rock-cut tombs found elsewhere on the Islands. The middle level, hewn out during the temple period (3800 - 2500 B.C.) is made up of numerous chambers. Many statuettes, amulets, figurines and vases were recovered here. The most famous figurine is that of the so-called Sleeping Lady, a reclining figurine, perhaps meant as a representation of eternal sleep. It is on display at the National Museum of Archaeology, Valletta
The Kordin Temples were located on a high plateau overlooking the Grand Harbour:
- Kordin I – The temple was excavated in part by A.A. Caruana, to be continued by Sir Themistocles Zammit in 1908 and finished by T. Ashby and T.E. Peet in 1909. It was poorly preserved and consisted of small and irregular rooms. Kordin I was left open to the elements. Air attacks during the Second World War and the building of an industrial estate on the site have obliterated all remains.
- Kordin II – The temple was first investigated by Cesare Vassallo in 1840. A.A. Caruana started to excavate the site properly in 1892. The excavation was continued by Albert Mayer in 1901 and finished by Ashby and Peet in their campaign of 1908-9. The chronology was difficult to figure out, and whether all of the building could be dated to the temple period is debatable. The site must have been used during the entire temple period since pottery from all this period's phases was found during the excavations. Kordin II was damaged by the air bombardments of the Second World War and the new buildings that were constructed since.
- Kordin III – This is the only temple on Kordin still in existence today, and it is of the standard Ġgantija-phase 3-apse design. It is the only temple whose forecourt, in front of the concave façade, is stone-paved, as is the entrance passage leading to the central court. Behind the temple and contemporary with it, are small rooms possibly used for storerooms or the like, or even an irregular, lobed minor temple. The most notable feature on the site is the 2.75 metre-long 'trough' lying across the entrance to the left apse. It has seven deep transverse grooves produced by grinding. It is made of hard limestone brought from over 2 kilometres away so it is highly probable that it is for grinding corn (a multiple quern) and contemporary with the temple rather than for grinding 'deffun', the traditional Maltese roofing material, which would make it considerably more recent. The site is in a walled enclosure next to the Church of St. Anthony and is kept locked to give it maximum protection.
Order of St. John
Antoine de Paule became Grand Master of the Order of St. John on 10 March 1623, when he was 71 years old. On 20 July 1626, to address a growing population, he set up a new town on the hill known as Tal-Għerien (literally: of the caves) which was named Casal Nuovo (meaning: new town) since it was funded during the rule of the Order. The town was later named Casal Paola to bear the family name of the Grand Master. To present date, the town is still referred to by this name. The town's coat of arms originally consisted of a white and red octagonal cross contrasted against a white and red background. During the Military Order, the town became the spiritual successor of the neighbouring town Tarxien and still depended for military tactics by the Chief of Army of Zejtun. During his rule, De Paule built a church in the town, dedicated to St. Ubaldesca who was a sister in the Order of St. John, and this church was the first parish church of the town.
Pope Urbanus VIII issued a Bull that gave permission for this church to be built. This Papal Bull was issued from the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome on 31 July 1629. An extract from this Bull reads as follows: "we accept this request and to the afore mentioned Antonius, with the Apostolic authority granted by this Bull, we give the authority that in the mentioned town in a location of his preference, as long as it is comfortable and just, a church can be built in honour of the afore-mentioned Saint." On 12 November 1629, the Council of the Order of St. John decided to effect what was written on the Bull. The laying of the first foundation stone of this church was celebrated in grand style by Grand Master de Paule himself on Sunday 25 August 1630.
"On the day of Sunday, the 25th day of the month of August 1630, which is the feast of the king Saint Ludovico, the Most Serene and the Most Revered Grand Master Fra Antoine de Paule went to the town, which for the past four years had taken the name of his family and which was established in the land of Marsa, and he was accompanied by numerous Venerable Gran Cruci as well as by numerous brethren from our Order and in front of a crowd of people he laid the first stone of the church which was to be built for the grace of God and the Holy Virgin Ubaldesca, sister of our Religion, with the permission of the Most Reverend Prior of the church, Fra Salvatur Imbroll, who was adorned with pontifical clothes and according to the rites of the Holy Roman Church. This was done with the apolostic authority given by the Magnificent His Holiness from Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome, on the 3ist of July 1629 and which was written in the public deed of the Notary Lorenzo Grima." The church was enlarged in 1900 to accommodate the growing population of Paola and it became a parish in 1910, when it was dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. A new and larger church, the one dedicated to Christ the King, was eventually built to replace it in Antoine de Paule Square, the town's main square. Today, the church undergone restoration and its interior is adorned with beautiful gold guilding and a majestic niche holding the parish's titular statue of Christ the King.
- Soċjeta' Filarmonika 11 ta' Frar- Madonna ta' Lourdes
- De Paule Philarmonic Society Christ the King Band (Is-Soċjetà Filarmonika De Paule Banda Kristu Re) (tal-Ħomor)
- Christ the King Band Club (Ghaqda Socjali w Muzikali Kristu Sultan Banda Paola) (tal-Ħodor)
- Lourdes Philarmonic Society A.D. 2007 (Is-Soċjetà Filarmonika Lourdes A.D. 2007)
Zones in Paola
- Għajn Dwieli
- Kordin (Corradino)
- Moll il-Faħam
- Ras Ħanżir
Paola main roads
- Pjazza Antone De Paule (Paola Square)
- Telgħat Raħal Ġdid (Paola Hill)
- Triq Bormla (Cospicua Road)
- Triq Għajn Dwieli (Għajn Dwieli Road)
- Triq Ħal Luqa (Luqa Road)
- Triq Ħal Tarxien (Tarxien Road)
- Triq Ħaż-Żabbar (Żabbar Road)
- Triq il-Belt Valletta (Valletta Road)
- Triq il-Perit Dom Mintoff (Dom Mintoff Road) - formerly called Triq Kordin (Corradino Road)
- Triq l-Isqof Buhagiar (Bishop Buhagiar Street)
- Triq Sammat (Sammat Street)
- Vjal Santa Luċija (Santa Lucia Avenue)
- Vjal Sir Pawlu Boffa (Sir Paul Boffa Avenue)
- Triq Palma (Palm Str)
- Triq l-Arkata (Arcade Street)
- Jason Azzopardi, Member of Parliament
- Sir Paul Boffa (1890–1962), Prime Minister, resided in this locality
- Ino Bonello, international movie art director
- Massimo Ellul,
- Chris Fearne, paediatric surgeon and Parliamentary secretary for Health
- Carmel Joseph Farrugia (aka Charles Farrugia), Malta's Pioneer of Satellite TVRO (TV Receive Only), in the Design, Manufacture, Distributor,Installer and Exporter from his stores at The Malta Freeport.
- Immanuel Mifsud, author, winner of the European Union Prize for Literature in 2011
- Konrad Mizzi, Minister for Energy and the Conservation of Water
- "Estimated Population by Locality 31st March, 2014". Government of Malta. 16 May 2014. Archived from the original on 21 June 2015.
- Cassar Pullicino, Joseph (October–December 1949). "The Order of St. John in Maltese folk-memory" (PDF). Scientia. 15 (4): 163. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 April 2016.
- http://melitensiawth.com/incoming/Index/Scientia%20(Malta)/Scientia.%2015(1949)4(Oct.-Dec.)/01.pdf p. 174.
- MacGill, Thomas (1839), "A handbook, or guide, for strangers visiting Malta", p.131.
- "Palazzo crying out for restoration". Times of Malta. 27 April 2016.
- Columbia-Lippincott Gazeteer, 1952 Edition. p. 1425.
- Ferris, Achille (1881). Memorie dell'inclito Ordine gerosolimitano esistenti nelle isole di Malta. Malta: C. Busuttil. p. 31.
- "The Church dedicated to St. Ubaldesca". Socjeta de Paule. 22 April 2016.
- Abela, Giovanni Francesco (1647). Della Descrizione di Malta Isola nel Mare Siciliano con le sue Antichità, ed Altre Notizie (in Italian). Paolo Bonacota. p. 94.
- "Corradino Road becomes Dom Mintoff Road, Gaddafi Gardens renamed". Times of Malta. 30 March 2016. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paola, Malta.|
- Christ the King Parish Church
- Paola Local Council
- G.M. Fra Antoine De Paule Philharmonic Society
- RahalGdid.com - A website about the history, feast and landmarks in Paola