Palace of Nations
|Palace of Nations|
|Palais des Nations|
Building A of the Palace of Nations.
46°13′36″N 6°08′26″E / 46.22667°N 6.14056°E
|Coordinates||46°13′35.63″N 6°8′25.72″E / 46.2265639°N 6.1404778°ECoordinates: 46°13′35.63″N 6°8′25.72″E / 46.2265639°N 6.1404778°E|
|Construction started||7 September 1929|
|Owner||United Nations, previously the League of Nations|
|Design and construction|
The Palace of Nations (French: Palais des Nations, pronounced: [palɛ de nɑsjɔ̃]) in Geneva, Switzerland, was built between 1929 and 1938 to serve as the headquarters of the League of Nations. It has served as the home of the United Nations Office at Geneva since 1946 when the Secretary-General of the United Nations signed a Headquarters Agreement with the Swiss authorities, although Switzerland did not become a member of the United Nations until 2002.
An architectural competition held in the 1920s to choose a design for the complex described the project as follows:
The Palace, whose construction is the object of the competition, is intended to house all the organs of the League of Nations in Geneva. It should be designed in such a way as to allow these organs to work, to preside and to hold discussions, independently and easily in the calm atmosphere which should prevail when dealing with problems of an international dimension.
A jury of architects was selected to choose a final design from among three-hundred and thirty-seven entries but was unable to decide on a winner. Ultimately, the five architects behind the leading entries were chosen to collaborate on a final design: Julien Flegenheimer of Switzerland, Camille Lefèvre and Henri-Paul Nénot of France, Carlo Broggi of Italy and József Vágó of Hungary. Donations from League members were used in the interior. The Palace constituted at the time of completion (1936), volume wise, the second-largest building complex in Europe after Versailles (440.000m3 vs. 460.000m3). After its transfer to the United Nations, two extensions were added to the building, which considerably increased the size of the usable area of the building. Between 1950-1952, three floors were added to the "K" building, and the "D" building was constructed to house temporarily the World Health Organization. The "E" building (or "New" Building) was added between 1968-1973 as a conference facility (an additional eleven conference rooms and an extra volume of 380.000m3), with bringing the total of conference rooms to 34. With the additions, the complex is 600 metres long and holds 2,800 offices, with a total volume of 853.0003
The Palace is located in Ariana Park, which was bequeathed to the City of Geneva in 1890 by Gustave de Revilliod de la Rive, on several conditions: i.a. that the park always remain accessible to the public and that he be buried in the park. The park also contains a 1668 chalet.
Beneath the Palace of Nations's foundation stone is a time capsule containing a document listing the names of the League of Nations member states, a copy of the Covenant of the League, and specimen coins of all the countries represented at the league's Tenth Assembly. A medal showing the Palace of Nations with the Jura Mountains in the background was struck in silvered bronze.
- The Assembly Hall is used for large or major meetings such as the World Health Assembly.
- The Conference on Disarmament in the Council Chamber.
- The Human Rights and Alliance of Civilizations Room, used by the United Nations Human Rights Council.
- Statue Family in the park of the palace.
- Jean-Claude Pallas, "Histoire et architecture du Palais des Nations, Nations Unies, 2001, p.100 and 104
- (French) Simon Petite, "Rénovation du Palais des Nations : vote crucial", Le Temps, Monday 23 December 2013, p. 5.
- Jean-Claude Pallas, "Histoire et architecture du Palais des Nations, Nations Unies, 2001,p.105
- Jean-Claude Pallas, "Histoire et architecture du Palais des Nations, Nations Unies, 2001,p.314
- (French) "Genève renoue avec sa tradition de ville de paix", Le Temps, Thursday 16 January 2014.
- McMenamin, M. (2011). "A medal depicting the Palace of Nations and the Jura Mountains". Numismatics International Bulletin. 46 (3-4): 55.
- Joëlle Kuntz, Geneva and the Call of Internationalism. A History, éditions Zoé, 2011, 96 pages (ISBN 978-2-88182-855-3).
- Jean-Claude Pallas, "Histoire et architecture du Palais des Nations, Nations Unies, 2001, 431 pages (ISBN 92-1-200354-0)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Palace of Nations.|