National College of Art and Design
|Coláiste Náisiúnta Ealaíne is Deartha|
|National College of Art, The Dublin Metropolitan School of Art|
|Students||1,000 (full time); 1,200 (part time)|
University College Dublin|
Situated on Thomas Street, the NCAD started as a private drawing school and has become a national institution educating over 1,500 day and evening students as artists, designers and art educators. The College was founded in 1746 as a private drawing school set up by Robert West in George's Lane. This school was taken over by the Dublin Society and later the Royal Dublin Society (RDS).
Throughout the eighteenth century there were three schools: Figure Drawing, Landscape and Ornamental Drawing and Architectural Drawing. In 1811, the school of modeling was added. The Department of Science and Art, London controlled the institution from 1854; it was renamed the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art in 1877. Control was taken by the department of education in 1924, and in 1936 it became the National College of Art.
The college was established as the National College of Art and Design in 1971 by an act of the Oireachtas and is now governed by a board (An Bord) appointed by the Minister for Education.
The College has been a recognized college of the National University of Ireland since 1996. However, on 7 December 2010, Tánaiste Mary Coughlan officially launched a new academic alliance between the National College of Art and Design and University College Dublin (UCD). This alliance means, amongst other things, that from September 2011 NCAD will change from being a recognised college of NUI to UCD and NCAD degrees will be validated by UCD.
There have been suggestions that the NCAD move from its Thomas St. location in the Liberties in Dublin city to the University College Dublin campus in Belfield and become a faculty or constituent college of UCD. This met with strong condemnation and demonstrations from students and graduates. The suggestion seems to have been dropped for the foreseeable future.