Ministry of Steel
|Jurisdiction||Republic of India|
Ministry of Steel|
Dr. Maulana Azad Road
The Ministry of Steel, a branch of Government of India, is the apex body for formulating all policies regarding steel production, distribution and pricing in India. As of June 2014, the ministry is headed by a minister of Cabinet rank, Chaudhary Birender Singh and is assisted by a Minister of State, Vishnu Deo Sai
Functions of the Ministry
- Coordination of data from various sources for the growth of the Iron and Steel Industry in India
- Formulation of policies in respect of production, pricing, distribution, import and export of iron & steel and ferro alloys
- Planning and development of and assistance to the entire iron and steel industry in the country
- Development of the input industries relating to iron ore, manganese ore, refractories and others required by the steel industry
Attached/Subordinate Offices and Institutes
- Joint Plant Committee(JPC)
- A select organisation whose goal is the promotion of steel, coordinating work of the main producers
- National Institute of Secondary Steel Technology (NISST)
- NISST aims to be a single source for all the requirements of the secondary steel sector
- Biju Patnaik National Steel Institute
- Situated in Puri, BPNSI is an institute of modern steel technology. It provides education and training, research and development, and consultancy to the Steel Sector.
Steel Consumers Council
- Steel Consumers Council Its members are nominated by the Minister of Steel & Mines. The tenure of the Council was initially fixed for two years, and it was re-constituted on 25 February 2010. The term of the present Council is up to 29 February 2012.
Public Sector Undertakings
- Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd. (RINL)
- National Mineral Development Corporation Ltd (NMDC)
- Kudremukh Iron Ore Company Ltd (KIOCL)
- MECON Limited
- Manganese Ore (India) Ltd (MOIL)
- MSTC Limited
- Hindustan Steel Works Construction Limited (HSCL)
- Sponge Iron India Limited (SIIL)
- Bharat Refractories Limited (BRL)
- Ferro Scrap Nigam Limited (FSNL)
- Bird Group of Companies
- Sukhdev Prasad Union Deputy Minister for Steel and Mines 1973 to 1977
- Ashoke Kumar Sen - 1991
- Ram Vilas Paswan - 2004-2009
- Virbhadra Singh - 28 May 2009–18 Jan 2011
- Beni Prasad Verma - July 2011 – May 2014
- Narendra Singh Tomar -26 May 2014 – 5 July 2016
- Chaudhary Birender Singh -5 July 2016 – Present
Ministers of state (independent charge)
- "India is the world's third-largest producer of crude steel". steel.ibef.org. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "India overtakes US as 3rd largest steel producer". economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Beni Prasad Verma promises 10 steel units in Uttar Pradesh". business-standard.com. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "18th national steel consumers council chaired by Cabinet Minister". business-standard.com. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- "24th Meeting of Steel Consumer's Council Chaired by Steel Ministy [sic] Of India". industrialnews.in. 3 February 2014.
- "24th Meeting of Steel Consumer's Council Circular". 3 February 2014.
- "Formation of Steel Consumers Council" (PDF). steel.gov.in. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Boards Councils Committees". steel.gov.in. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Steel Consumers Council". steel.gov.in. Retrieved 14 January 2016.