|Former names||Municipal Stadium (1934–1942)|
|Location||820 Second North Street, Syracuse, NY|
|Owner||City of Syracuse; transferred to County of Onondaga in mid 1970s|
|Operator||City of Syracuse; County of Onondaga operated effective mid 1970s|
Left field: 320 feet (98 m)|
Center field: 434 feet (132 m)
Right field: 320 feet (98 m)
|Broke ground||March 1, 1934|
|Opened||April 18, 1934|
|Renovated||1976 and 1988|
|Closed||September 3, 1996|
($5.03 million in 2016 dollars)
Syracuse Chiefs (MiLB) (1934–1996)|
Syracuse Braves (AFL II) (1936)
MacArthur Stadium was a stadium in Syracuse, New York. Opened in 1934 as Municipal Stadium, it was used primarily for baseball and was the home of Syracuse Chiefs before they moved to P&C Stadium, (now NBT Bank Stadium) in 1997. The ballpark had an initial capacity of 8,416 people; its capacity was increased to 10,006 before it was renamed in honor of General Douglas MacArthur in 1942. The stadium was razed in 1997 to provide a parking lot for the newly built P&C Stadium.
MacArthur Stadium was noted for having one of the deepest center field fences in minor league baseball, 434 feet, and no ball cleared that fence until 1971, with Richie Zisk being the first player to accomplish that feat.
MacArthur Stadium was severely damaged by fire (arson) in 1969. The Chiefs were forced to play home games in Oneonta and Auburn, NY, while repairs were being made. (Management of the Rochester Red Wings rejected an urgent plea from team management to move some home games to Silver Stadium).
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Community Development Project. "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–". Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved October 21, 2016.
- Photographs of MacArthur Stadium - Syracuse Area Ballparks
- "MacArthur Stadium, Syracuse, New York," MinorLeagueBallParks.com