List of print media in New Zealand
This is a list of print media in New Zealand. New Zealand once had several daily newspapers in each major city, but as in other countries the medium was damaged by radio and then television, and each city now only has one daily newspaper.
There are no truly national newspapers, although The New Zealand Herald and to a lesser extent The Dominion Post are both available outside their core areas. The four main centres of Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin are served by The New Zealand Herald, The Dominion Post, The Press, and the Otago Daily Times. In addition, there are several weekly newspapers with a national scope, including two tabloids. There are also numerous low-budget weekly newspapers catering for particular suburbs or for subcultures including the gay and farming communities and various ethnic groups.
National weekly papers
- Coast & Country News Free Monthly newspaper
- The Cambridge Edition
- Cook Strait News
- The Courier, Ashburton
- The Ensign, Gore
The Opunake and Coastal News
- Advocate South (formally Fiordland Advocate), Southland
- The Fishing Paper & Hunting News, national, monthly
- The GB Weekly, Golden Bay
- Hamilton News
- The Hauraki Herald
- Hamilton Press
- Auckland City Harbour News Auckland
- East & Bays Courier Auckland
- Eastern Courier Auckland
- Manukau Courier Auckland
- Papakura Courier Auckland
- Rodney Times Auckland
- North Shore Times Auckland
- Nor-west News Auckland
- Western Leader Auckland
- Central Leader Auckland
- The Bay Chronicle Bay of Islands
- 'Northern News Kaikohe
- Whangarei Leader Northland
- North Harbour News Auckland
- Horowhenua Chronicle
- Horowhenua Mail
- Howick and Botany Times
- Howick and Pakuranga Times
- The Hurunui Times
- The Kaikoura Star
- Kapiti Observer
- The Matamata Chronicle
- The News (also called The Lakes District and Central Otago News), Alexandra
- The Northern Outlook, North Canterbury
- Raglan Chronicle
- River City Press
- Ruapehu Bulletin
- South Waikato News
- Southern Rural Life
- Southland Express, Invercargill
- The Star, Christchurch
- The Star, Dunedin
- Te Awamutu Courier
- The Timaru Courier
- Waitomo News
- The Weekend Sun
- Namaste Gujarat
- The Flagstaff, Devonport
- Australian Women's Weekly NZ Edition
- Challenge Weekly
- New Zealand Listener
- MySpace FREE Magazine www.myspace.co.nz
- New Zealand Woman's Weekly
- North & South
- Canta – University of Canterbury
- Craccum – University of Auckland
- Critic – University of Otago
- Gyro – Otago Polytechnic
- Nexus – University of Waikato
- Salient – Victoria University of Wellington
Note: these newspapers are listed by decade of first issue.
- Joseph Ivess (1844–1919), who had an association with about 40 newspapers and founded many of them
- Rosenberg, Bill (2008-09-13). "News media ownership in New Zealand" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-09-14.
- "Press audit results". The New Zealand Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- Keith, Hamish (1984). New Zealand yesterdays: a look at our recent past. Reader's Digest Services. p. 131. ISBN 9780949819406. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
Junior Digest, published in Christchurch, lasted from 1945 to 1964- longer than most of the magazines [...]
- "PAEROA GAZETTE 1891 – 1991". ohinemuri.org.nz. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- The I. W. W. and the General Strike in Aotearoa. Trouble Makers – Anarchism and Syndicalism. Takver.com (1999-08-16). Retrieved on 2012-07-03.
- Bruce Macdonald Brown (1966). "High Casualty Rate". Department of External Affairs. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- Nicholas Evan Reid, The Bishop's Paper: A History of the Catholic Press of the Diocese of Auckland, CPC, Auckland, 2000, p. 55 ISBN 0473072181
- Harvey, Ross. "Ivess, Joseph – Biography". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Ministry for Culture and Heritage. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- Papers Past at the National Library of New Zealand – a digitised collection of some historical newspapers