Justin Smith (linebacker)
Smith (left) and Derrick Brooks on January 25, 2003
|No. 59, 53|
|Date of birth:||June 5, 1979|
|Place of birth:||Lafayette, Indiana|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||218 lb (99 kg)|
|High school:||Indianapolis (IN) Warren Central|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Justin Curtis Smith (born June 5, 1979) is a former American football linebacker who played in the National Football League (NFL) with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and St. Louis Rams. He played college football at Indiana University Bloomington and attended Warren Central High School in Indianapolis, Indiana. He was also a member of the Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers, Amsterdam Admirals, Chicago Bears and Hamburg Sea Devils.
Smith played for the Indiana Hoosiers from 1998 to 2001, earning All-Big Ten Conference honors in 2000 and 2001 and Academic All-Big Ten honors in 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001. He was on the Butkus Award watch list in 2000 and 2001.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Smith signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on April 22, 2002 after going undrafted in the 2002 NFL Draft. He was released by the Buccaneers on September 2 and signed to the team's practice squad on September 4, 2002. He was promoted to the active roster on January 11, 2003 and declared inactive during second round of the playoffs. Smith earned a Super Bowl ring when the Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII against the Oakland Raiders on January 26, 2003. He was released by the Buccaneers on August 31 and signed to the team's practice squad on September 3, 2003. He was promoted to the active roster on November 14, 2003. Smith was released by the Buccaneers on December 6 and re-signed to the team's practice squad on December 9, 2003. He appeared in two games for the Buccaneers during the 2003 season.
St. Louis Rams
Smith was signed off the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' practice squad by the St. Louis Rams on December 11, 2003. He played in three games for the Rams in 2003. He was released by the Rams on August 24, 2004.
Carolina Panthers/Amsterdam Admirals
Smith was signed by the Carolina Panthers on January 12, 2005. He was allocated to NFL Europe to play for the Amsterdam Admirals on February 15, 2005. He was placed on injured reserve on September 3, 2005, causing him to miss the entire 2005 season. Smith was released by the Panthers on October 14, 2005.
Chicago Bears/Hamburg Sea Devils
Smith signed with the Chicago Bears on January 10, 2006. He was drafted by the Hamburg Sea Devils of NFL Europe on January 28, 2006. He was released by the Bears on May 30, 2006.
- "JUSTIN SMITH". profootballarchives.com. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
- "HONORS" (PDF). grfx.cstv.com. Archived from the original on April 29, 2015. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
- "2000 All-Big Ten Football Teams & Individual Honors Announced". ohiostatebuckeyes.com. November 28, 2000. Archived from the original on June 4, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Justin Smith". sports-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
- "Smith Named to Butkus Award Watch List". iuhoosiers.com. August 24, 2000. Archived from the original on June 4, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Randle El and Smith to Attend MDA Muscle Team Gala". iuhoosiers.com. February 1, 2000. Archived from the original on June 4, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Justin Smith". kffl.com. Archived from the original on April 29, 2015. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
- "SUPER BOWL XXXVII". pro-football-reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved August 29, 2015.