Giménez at the 2014 World Cup
|Full name||José María Giménez de Vargas|
|Date of birth||20 January 1995|
|Place of birth||Toledo, Uruguay|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:24, 1 March 2016 (UTC).
José María Giménez de Vargas (Spanish pronunciation: [xoˈse maˈɾi.a ximenes]; born 20 January 1995) is a Uruguayan professional footballer who plays for Spanish club Atlético Madrid and the Uruguay national team as a defender.
Born in Toledo, Giménez made his professional debut for Danubio F.C. in the Uruguayan Primera División on 17 November 2012 (when the manager was Juan Ramón Carrasco) against River Plate in which he started and played the full 90 minutes as Danubio lost the match 2–0.
Giménez scored his first goal for the club on 6 December 2014, opening a 2–0 win away to Elche CF to move Atlético into second place. He also scored a header against biggest rival Real Madrid in Atlético's 2–0 win in the Copa del Rey in January 2015.
On 2 June 2014, Giménez was named in Uruguay's squad for the 2014 World Cup finals. The 19-year-old defender made his tournament debut against England in the team's second group match, deputising for the injured captain Diego Lugano in a 2–1 victory for La Celeste. (with 19 years and 149 days old, he is the youngest Uruguayan player to debut at a world cup). He went on to start in the final group match – a 1–0 win over Italy – and the 2–0 round of 16 loss to Colombia.
Giménez scored his first international goal in a 1–0 friendly win against South Korea in September 2014.
In May 2015, he was named in Uruguay's squad for the 2015 Copa América by coach Óscar Tabárez. On 20 June, Giménez scored Uruguay's goal in a 1–1 draw with Paraguay which saw both teams progress to the knockout stage.
|1.||8 September 2014||Goyang Stadium, Goyang, South Korea||South Korea||1–0||1–0||Friendly|
|2.||13 November 2014||Estadio Centenario, Montevideo, Uruguay||Costa Rica||2–2||3–3||Friendly|
|3.||20 June 2015||Estadio La Portada, La Serena, Chile||Paraguay||1–0||1–1||2015 Copa América|
- Atlético Madrid
- "Strong Roots: Giménez honored in Toledo". Futbol. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "DANUBIO VS. RIVER PLATE 0 - 2". Soccerway. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Atlético Madrid complete signing of teenage defender Jose María Giménez". Sky Sports News. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Atleti maintain perfect start; ESPN FC, 14 September 2013
- "Elche 0-2 Atl Madrid". BBC Sport. 6 December 2014. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Jose GIMENEZ". FIFA. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "Uruguay World Cup 2014 squad". The Daily Telegraph. 2 June 2014. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Mondiali, Uruguay, Lugano ancora out: contro l'Italia (ri)tocca a baby Gimenez" [World Cup, Uruguay, Lugano still out: against Italy they will turn to baby Gimenez]. La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). 21 June 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- "José María Giménez". FIFA. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "Stakes are high in South American friendlies as players look to impress". ESPN. 12 November 2014.
- "Uruguay confirm Copa América squad numbers as Rolán lands Suárez's No.9". Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- "Uruguay 1-1 Paraguay". BBC. 20 June 2015.
- José Giménez profile at Soccerway
- "J. Giménez". Soccerway. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to José Giménez.|
- José Giménez profile at BDFutbol
- José Giménez at National-Football-Teams.com
- José Giménez – UEFA competition record