Jim Phillips (American football)
|Date of birth:||February 5, 1936|
|Place of birth:||Alexander City, Alabama|
|Date of death:||March 25, 2015 79)(aged|
|Place of death:||Auburn, Alabama|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||197 lb (89 kg)|
|NFL Draft:||1958 / Round: 1 / Pick: 5|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
James Jackson "Red" Phillips (February 5, 1936 – March 25, 2015) was an American football wide receiver who played for the Los Angeles Rams and the Minnesota Vikings for 10 seasons, from 1958 to 1967. Phillips was a three-time Pro Bowler as a Ram from 1960 to 1962 and was first team in 1961. Phillips attended Auburn University. He was on 11 All-American teams his senior year at Auburn. He was co-captain on Auburn's 1957 national championship team.
After leaving the NFL, Phillips held coaching positions with the Atlanta Falcons, San Diego Chargers, New Orleans Saints, and Florida State. He later ran a successful insurance business and was appointed to the Alabama Department of Insurance.
Phillips was inducted into Alabama Sports Hall of Fame in 1985.
Phillips died on March 25, 2015 at Bethany House (Hospice) in Auburn.
- "Auburn All-American, NFL All-Pro Jimmy 'Red' Phillips dies". AL.com. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Pro Football Reference http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PhilJi00.htm. Retrieved 26 March 2015. Missing or empty
- "Community mourns loss of AU legend 'Red' Phillips". AlexCity Outlook.
- . AL dot Com http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/auburn_all-american_nfl_all-pr.html. Missing or empty
- Find A Grave http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=50674670. Missing or empty