To celebrate his career, the Scottish Football Association awarded McCluskey a Scottish Cup Final game for his swansong. He presided over the 2000 Scottish Cup Final, in which Rangers beat Aberdeen 4–0. McCluskey also oversaw the second leg of the 1994 UEFA Cup Final between Inter Milan and Casino Salzburg.
- McKinney, David (31 May 1993). "Scottish up Final: Rangers continue to reign supreme". The Independent. London. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- Football: I reffed Brazil and Inter but Alloa v Caley tops the lot Daily Record, 27 May 2000
- Vallance, Matt (18 November 2013). "Obituary: James "Jim" McCluskey, football referee and surveyor". The Scotsman. Johnston Publishing. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "Jim McCluskey: Tributes to late Scottish referee". BBC Sport. BBC. 15 November 2013. Archived from the original on November 18, 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Scottish FA pays tribute to Jim McCluskey". www.scottishfa.co.uk. Scottish Football Association. 15 November 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.