October 3, 1968 (age 48)|
Torrance, California, U.S.
Janeene Vickers (born October 3, 1968 in Torrance, California) is an American athlete who competed mainly in the 400 metre hurdles. Representing the United States, she won a bronze medal in the 400 metres hurdles at the 1992 Olympic Games held in Barcelona, Spain. The previous year, she had also won a bronze medal at the 1991 World Championships, in a lifetime best of 53.47 seconds. This performance placed her seventh on the world all-time list at the time, and (as of 2016) still ranks her tenth on the US all-time list.
A graduate of Pomona High School, where she had an outstanding high school career. She dominated the CIF California State Meet winning both the 100 meter and 300 meter hurdles in both 1986 and 1987, adding the flat 100 meter title in 1987. She was Track and Field News "High School Athlete of the Year" in 1987. She continued to UCLA to where she won three straight NCAA Championships in the 400 hurdles.
On November 4, 2011, Vickers (now Vickers-McKinney) was inducted into the UCLA Athletics Hall of Fame.
|Representing United States|
|1986||World Junior Championships||Athens, United States||4th||400 m||52.25|
|1st||4 x 400 m||3:30.45|
|1990||Goodwill Games||Seattle, United States||disqualified (3rd)||400 m hurdles||—|
|1991||World Championships||Tokyo, Japan||3rd||400 m hurdles||53.47|
|Grand Prix Final||Barcelona, Spain||2nd||400 m hurdles||54.07|
|1992||Olympic Games||Barcelona, Spain||3rd||400 m hurdles||54.31|
- http://articles.latimes.com/1986-04-13/sports/sp-4586_1 LA Times on Arcadia Invitational
- "California State Meet Results – 1915 to present". Hank Lawson. Retrieved 2012-12-25.
- http://www.hickoksports.com/history/ncawotrk.shtml hickosports
- Janeene Vickers profile at IAAF
- California State Records before 2000
- "Janeene Vickers". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC.