Iowa Field House
Iowa City, Iowa 52242
|Owner||University of Iowa|
|Operator||University of Iowa|
The Iowa Field House is a multi-purpose arena in Iowa City, Iowa. Opened in 1927, it held up to 13,365 people at its height. It was home to the Iowa Hawkeyes men's basketball team before they moved to the newly constructed Carver–Hawkeye Arena in 1983. The building was a regional site for the NCAA Basketball Tournament four times, in 1954, 1956, 1964 and 1966. The pool inside the facility was the home of the Iowa Hawkeyes men's and women's swimming team from its construction through the 2009-2010 season. This pool is believed to be the largest indoor pool in the world at the time of its construction.
Since the basketball team's departure, parts of the arena have been converted into classroom and office space for the university's Health and Sport Studies program and Recreational Services department. The swimming team continued to host events their until the construction of the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center in 2010. The gymnastics team also continue to host events at the Field House. On March 25, 2010, President Barack Obama delivered a speech in the facility on the landmark health care reform bill he signed two days earlier.