Dick Davis (translator)
18 April 1945|
|Alma mater||University of Manchester (Ph.D.)|
|Employer||Ohio State University|
Dick Davis FRSL is a British poet, and translator. He is professor emeritus of Persian at Ohio State University. He has written scholarly works on both English and Persian literature, as well as eight volumes of his own poetry, and been the recipient of numerous academic and literary awards, including both the Ingram Merrill and Heinemann awards for poetry. His publications include volumes of poetry and verse translation chosen as books of the year by The Sunday Times (UK) in 1989; The Daily Telegraph (UK) in 1989; The Economist (UK) in 2002; The Washington Post in 2010, and The Times Literary Supplement (UK) in 2013. He has published numerous book-length verse translations from medieval Persian, most recently, Faces of Love: Hafez and the Poets of Shiraz (2012). He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, and has been called, by The Times Literary Supplement, “our finest translator from Persian”.
He was Bita Daryabari Professor of Persian Letters at Stanford University.
- Dick Davis (15 June 2009). Belonging: Poems. Ohio University Press. ISBN 978-0-8040-4005-1.
- Dick Davis (1 June 2009). A Trick of Sunlight: Poems. Ohio University Press. ISBN 978-0-8040-4025-9.
- Hafez; Jahan Malek Khatun; Obayd-e Zakani (27 August 2013). Faces of Love: Hafez and the Poets of Shiraz. Penguin Group US. ISBN 978-1-101-62717-4.
- Firdawsī (1 March 2004). The Legend of Seyavash. Mage Publishers, Incorporated. ISBN 978-0-934211-91-8.
- Firdawsī; Dick Davis (2000). Fathers and sons. Mage Publishers.
- Ehsan Yarshater; Dick Davis; Firdawsī (1 January 1998). The lion and the throne. Mage Publishers. ISBN 978-0-934211-50-5.
- Īraj Pizishkzād; Dick Davis (1 January 2000). My Uncle Napoleon. Mage Publishers.
- Fakhraddin Gorgani; Fakhr al-Dīn Gurgānī; Dick Davis (2008). Vis & Ramin. Mage Pub. ISBN 978-1-933823-17-1.
- Fatemeh Shams; Fatemeh Shams; Dick Davis (2015). Life and Legends.