Cranial neural crest
|Cranial neural crest|
|Latin||crista neuralis cranialis|
The cranial neural crest is a form of neural crest.
The cranial neural crest arises in the anterior and populates the face and the pharyngeal arches giving rise to bones, cartilage, nerves and connective tissue. The endocranium and facial bones of the skull are ultimately derived from crest cells.
- Other Migration Locations:
- Into the pharyngeal arches and play an inductive role in thymus development.
- Into the pharyngeal arches and form the parafollicular cell or ultimobranchial bodies of the thyroid gland.
- Into the pharyngeal arches and play an inductive role in parathyroid gland development.
- Facial ectomesenchyme of the pharyngeal arches forming skeletal muscle, bone, and cartilage in the face.
- Odontoblasts (dentin-producing cells) of the teeth.
- Around the optic vesicle and the developing eye and contributes to many eye elements such the choroid, sclera, iris, and ciliary body. It also contributes to the attaching skeletal muscles of the eye.
- Into the otic placode and participates in the inner ear development.
- Sensory ganglia of the fifth, seventh, ninth and tenth cranial nerves.
- Schwann cells
- "The Neural Crest". Retrieved 2009-05-31.
- Grenier J, Teillet MA, Grifone R, Kelly RG, Duprez D (2009). Callaerts P, ed. "Relationship between Neural Crest Cells and Cranial Mesoderm during Head Muscle Development". PLoS ONE. 4 (2): e4381. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0004381. PMC 2634972. PMID 19198652.
- Jiang HB, Tian WD, Liu LK, Xu Y (June 2008). "In vitro odontoblast-like cell differentiation of cranial neural crest cells induced by fibroblast growth factor 8 and dentin non-collagen proteins". Cell Biol. Int. 32 (6): 671–8. doi:10.1016/j.cellbi.2008.01.293. PMID 18339562.
- Nie X, Zhang YJ, Tian WD, et al. (January 2007). "Improvement of peripheral nerve regeneration by a tissue-engineered nerve filled with ectomesenchymal stem cells". Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 36 (1): 32–8. doi:10.1016/j.ijom.2006.06.005. PMID 17169530.