Come Away with Me
|Come Away with Me|
|Studio album by Norah Jones|
|Released||February 26, 2002|
Sorcerer Sound, New York|
Allaire Studios, Shokan
|Norah Jones chronology|
|Singles from Come Away with Me|
Come Away with Me is the debut album of pianist and singer Norah Jones, released by Blue Note Records on February 26, 2002. Recording sessions for the album took place at New York City's Sorcerer Sound Studio and Shokan's Allaire Studios in 2001.
The album's critical and commercial success was a breakthrough for Jones in 2002, as it reached the top of the Billboard 200 chart and several jazz charts. The album also topped many critics' "albums of the year" lists and gathered major music awards in the process, including eight Grammy Awards. Following initial sales, Come Away with Me was certified diamond by the RIAA on February 15, 2005 after having shipped over 10 million copies in its first three years of release. It has sold more than 26 million copies worldwide as of April 2012.
"Don't Know Why"
A sample of "Don't Know Why"
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Come Away with Me is a mellow, acoustic pop album with soul and country overtones. It also incorporates blues, jazz, and folk styles. Bobby Dodd of All About Jazz writes that, although the album features jazz standards, jazz purists and academics "may deny [Jones] jazz credibility for her folk infusion". Jones' guitarist Jesse Harris and bassist Lee Alexander wrote most of the album's songs, which feature simple melodies and progressions.
In the US, Come Away with Me debuted at No. 139 on the Billboard 200 before climbing to No. 1 in January 2003, almost a year after its release. In total the album has appeared on the Billboard 200 164 weeks. It was certified platinum from the Recording Industry Association of America on August 22, 2002. It went on to sell over ten million copies over the next year, and on February 15, 2005, was certified as a diamond record by the RIAA. As of March 2016, the album has sold 11.1 million copies, making it the eleventh best-selling album of the Nielsen SoundScan era in the US. The album sold approximately 26 million copies worldwide.
In Germany, though the album debuted at just No. 37, it nevertheless stayed for a total of 141 weeks on the official German Albums Chart and it managed to reach No. 2 in its 37th week on that chart, where it stayed for 4 weeks. In the end, Come Away with Me sold 750,000 copies, reaching 5× gold, being her most successful album in that country and one of the longest-staying albums on the German Albums Chart.
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|
|Los Angeles Times|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|
Come Away with Me received acclaim from music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has an average score of 82 out of 100, which indicates "universal acclaim" based on 9 reviews.
The album received 3.5 out of 4 stars from both the Chicago Sun-Times and the Los Angeles Times reviews. AllMusic's David R. Adler wrote that "while the mood of this record stagnates after a few songs, it does give a strong indication of Jones' alluring talents." Robert Christgau of The Village Voice cited it as "the most unjazz album [Blue Note] has ever released" and criticized that "Jones's voice dominates the record" because "her main writers are pretty anonymous", although he found it to be a "sincere" and "exemplary biz success story in which the good guys win." In his Consumer Guide, Christgau picked out her cover version of Hank Williams' "Cold, Cold Heart" as a "choice cut",(), calling it "a good song on an album that isn't worth your time or money".
The A.V. Club gave it a favorable review and called the album "A showcase for Jones' remarkable voice, the disc captures a singer whose rare instinct for interpretation always serves the song, rather than working against it." E! Online gave it an A and stated: "Gorgeous and intimate, the 14 songs on her debut disc ache with romantic maturity and a smart, slow-jam sexiness that belies the fact that, at 22, Jones is hardly older than Britney Spears." Kludge included it on their list of best albums of 2002.
The album won eight awards (Jones won five of the awards) at the Grammy Awards of 2003, including Album of the Year, as well as Record of the Year and Song of the Year for "Don't Know Why". Although she was happy about her success, Jones felt bad about sweeping the Grammy Awards. In an interview for 60 Minutes, Jones told Katie Couric:
I felt like I went to somebody else's birthday party and I ate all their cake. Without anybody else getting a piece. That's how I felt.— Norah Jones
|1.||"Don't Know Why"||Jesse Harris||3:06|
|2.||"Seven Years"||Lee Alexander||2:25|
|3.||"Cold Cold Heart"||Hank Williams||3:38|
|4.||"Feelin' the Same Way"||Alexander||2:55|
|5.||"Come Away with Me"||Norah Jones||3:18|
|6.||"Shoot the Moon"||Harris||3:57|
|7.||"Turn Me On"||John D. Loudermilk||2:33|
|9.||"I've Got to See You Again"||Harris||4:13|
|11.||"One Flight Down"||Harris||3:03|
|13.||"The Long Day Is Over"||
|14.||"The Nearness of You"||3:09|
|Japan bonus track|
|15.||"What Am I to You?"||Jones||2:42|
|Limited edition bonus disc|
|1.||"Ruler of My Heart" (featuring Dirty Dozen Brass Band)||Irma Thomas||3:00|
|2.||"Cold, Cold Heart" (Live)||Williams||4:40|
|3.||"I'll Be Your Baby Tonight"||Bob Dylan||3:18|
|5.||"Come Away with Me" (music video)||3:19|
|iTunes LP deluxe version|
|15.||"I'll Be Your Baby Tonight"||Bob Dylan||3:20|
|16.||"Something Is Calling You" (original demo version)||Harris||3:33|
|18.||"Don't Know Why" (music video)||3:11|
|19.||"Come Away with Me" (music video)||3:19|
|Argentina (CAPIF)||2× Platinum||80,000*|
|Australia (ARIA)||11× Platinum||770,000^|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||2× Platinum||60,000*|
|Belgium (BEA)||2× Platinum||100,000*|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Diamond||1,000,000^|
|Denmark (IFPI Denmark)||3× Platinum||150,000^|
|Germany (BVMI)||5× Gold||750,000^|
|Greece (IFPI Greece)||Gold||10,000^|
|Japan (RIAJ)||2× Platinum||500,000^|
|Netherlands (NVPI)||3× Platinum||240,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||11× Platinum||165,000^|
|Poland (ZPAV)||2× Platinum||200,000*|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||3× Platinum||120,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||8× Platinum||2,556,651|
|United States (RIAA)||Diamond||11,100,000|
|Europe (IFPI)||7× Platinum||7,000,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|2003||Come Away with Me||Album of the Year|
|Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical|
|Producer of the Year, Non-Classical|
|Best Pop Vocal Album|
|"Don't Know Why"||Best Female Pop Vocal Performance|
|Record of the Year|
|Song of the Year|
|Norah Jones||Best New Artist|
- List of best-selling albums
- List of best-selling albums in the United States
- List of best-selling albums in Australia
- List of best-selling albums in New Zealand
- List of best-selling albums in the United Kingdom
- Adler, David R. "Come Away with Me - Norah Jones". AllMusic. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "Music: Come Away with Me (CD) by Norah Jones, 106257836". Tower.com.
- Acclaimedmusic.net – Come Away with Me
- "The Humility of Norah Jones, She Says Her Dominance at the Grammys Made Her Feel Bad". CBS Interactive Inc. February 8, 2007. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "RIAA Searchable Database". Recording Industry Association of America. Archived from the original on September 2, 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- Brown, Helen (April 27, 2012). "Norah Jones, Little Broken Hearts, CD Review". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved April 29, 2012.
- "Review: Come Away with Me". Mojo. London: 110. April 2002.
...a delicate acoustic dance that pulls country, blues and jazz...
- Dodd, Bobby (May 1, 2002). "Norah Jones: Come Away With Me". All About Jazz. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Kaplan, Ben (March 22, 2012). "Norah Jones finds a beguiling new voice". National Post. Postmedia Network. Retrieved July 21, 2016.
- "Top 200 Albums - 2015-02-28". Billboard. Retrieved July 21, 2016.
- Caulfield, Keith (February 7, 2016). "Adele's '25' Sales Surpass 8 Million in the U.S.". Billboard. Retrieved March 1, 2016.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank ('Come%20Away%20with%20Me')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Studio 360 commentary. October 1, 2004. Accessed on: March 19, 2009.
- "Reviews for Come Away with Me by Norah Jones". Metacritic. Retrieved July 21, 2016.
- Wisser, Emerick Jeff (March 31, 2002). "Norah Jones, 'Come Away With Me' (Blue Note)". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "Norah Jones: Come Away with Me". Down Beat: 63–64. June 2002.
- Larkin, Colin (2007). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music (5th ed.). Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-857-12595-8.
- Blumenfeld, Larry (March 8, 2002). "Come Away With Me". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Fordham, John (March 1, 2002). "Bobby's on a roll". The Guardian. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- Hilburn, Robert (March 17, 2002). "Norah Jones Weaves a Haunting Allure". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Moon, Tom (March 28, 2002). "Norah Jones: Come Away with Me". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on October 14, 2007. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Brackett, Nathan; Hoard, Christian, eds. (2004). The New Rolling Stone Album Guide. Simon & Schuster. pp. 439–40. ISBN 0-743-20169-8.
- Green, Tony (April 2002). "Norah Jones: Come Away with Me". Vibe: 168. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Christgau, Robert (March 11, 2003). "What's Not to Like? Norah Jones". The Village Voice. New York. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: Norah Jones". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG 90s: Key to Icons". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Phipps, Keith (February 26, 2002). "Norah Jones: Come Away With Me". The A.V. Club. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "The Best of 2002". Kludge. Archived from the original on July 22, 2004. Retrieved November 25, 2015.
- "Come Away With Me > Charts & Awards". All Media Guide, LLC. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "100 Best Albums of the 2000s".
- "Amazon.com: Norah Jones: Come Away With Me (Limited Edition): Music". amazon.com.
- iTunes - Music - Come Away With Me (Deluxe Version) by Norah Jones
- "Norah Jones – Come Away With Me". ultratop.be. Retrieved 2012-06-02.
- "Norah Jones - Come Away With Me". acharts.us.
- "ノラ・ジョーンズ". ORICON STYLE.
- Davidalic. "LISTAS DE AFYVE". afyvecharts.blogspot.co.nz.
- "South Korea Gaon Album Chart". On the page, select "2013.12.08~2013.12.14" to obtain the corresponding chart. Gaon Chart Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- "Oficjalna lista sprzedaży :: OLIS - Official Retail Sales Chart". OLiS. Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved April 25, 2014.
- "End of Year Album Chart Top 100 - 2002 - Official Charts Company".
- "End of Year Album Chart Top 100 - 2003 - Official Charts Company".
- "End of Year Album Chart Top 100 - 2004 - Official Charts Company".
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on January 17, 2016. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "Charts". Billboard.
- "Discos de oro y platino" (in Spanish). Cámara Argentina de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Archived from the original on July 6, 2011. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2012 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Austrian album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Norah Jones in the field Interpret. Enter Come Away with Me in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – 2004". Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- "Brazilian album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos.
- "Canadian album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me". Music Canada.
- "Danish album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me". IFPI Denmark. Click on næste to go to page if certification from official website
- "French album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "InfoDisc : Les Certifications (Albums) du SNEP (les Disques de Diamant)". infodisc.fr.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Norah Jones; 'Come Away with Me')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Greek album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in Greek). IFPI Greece.
- "Ελληνικό Chart". archive.is.
- "Italian album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved May 5, 2015. Select Album e Compilation in the field Sezione. Enter Norah Jones in the field Filtra. The certification will load automatically
- "Japanese album certifications – ノラ・ジョーンズ – ノラ・ジョーンズ" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan. Select 2003年12月 on the drop-down menu
- "Certificaciones – Norah Jones" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas.
- "Dutch album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers.
- "New Zealand album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me". Recorded Music NZ.
- "Polish album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry.
- "Spanish album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. Select the "Chart", enter 2004 in the field "Year". Select '' in the field "Semana". Click on "Search Charts"
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 2003" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Norah Jones; 'Come Away with Me')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Come Away with Me in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- Jones, Alan (October 14, 2016). "Official Charts Analysis: Green Day claim top spot with Revolution Radio". Music Week. Intent Media. Retrieved October 15, 2016. (subscription required (. ))
- "American album certifications – Norah Jones – Come Away with Me". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- "IFPI Platinum Europe Awards – 2008". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.
8 Mile Soundtrack
Chocolate Factory by R. Kelly
|Billboard 200 number-one album
January 19 – February 8, 2003
March 9–15, 2003
| Succeeded by|
Home by Dixie Chicks
Get Rich or Die Tryin' by 50 Cent
8 Mile Soundtrack by various artists
|Australian ARIA Albums Chart number-one album
February 10 – March 30, 2003
May 12–25, 2003
| Succeeded by|
Innocent Eyes by Delta Goodrem
The Look of Love by Diana Krall
Harry for the Holidays by Harry Connick, Jr.
Only You by Harry Connick, Jr.
The Girl in the Other Room by Diana Krall
|Billboard Top Jazz Albums number-one albums
March 30, 2002 – November 29, 2003
January 17–31, 2004
April 10 – May 8, 2004
August 14 – November 6, 2004
| Succeeded by|
Harry for the Holidays by Harry Connick, Jr.
Only You by Harry Connick, Jr.
The Girl in the Other Room by Diana Krall
When I Fall in Love by Chris Botti