Brookford, North Carolina
|Brookford, North Carolina|
Location of Brookford, North Carolina
|Coordinates: 35°42′13″N 81°20′48″W / 35.70361°N 81.34667°WCoordinates: 35°42′13″N 81°20′48″W / 35.70361°N 81.34667°W|
|• Total||0.62 sq mi (1.61 km2)|
|• Land||0.60 sq mi (1.56 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|Elevation||932 ft (284 m)|
|• Density||634/sq mi (244.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1019316|
Brookford is located in western Catawba County at 35°42′13″N 81°20′48″W / 35.70361°N 81.34667°W (35.703482, -81.346786). It is bordered to the north by the city of Hickory and to the southwest by the unincorporated community of Mountain View.
The town is located just to the southeast of the junction of Interstate 40 with U.S. Route 321 south of Hickory. As both of those highways are limited-access, the closest direct access to Brookford is from Exit 42 on US 321, southwest of the town. The exit connects to North Carolina Highway 127 (Brookford Boulevard), which runs through the center of the town.
Brookford is located on hills on the north side of the Henry Fork River, a tributary of the South Fork Catawba River. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.62 square miles (1.6 km2), of which 0.019 square miles (0.05 km2), or 3.09%, is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 383 people, 200 households, and 129 families residing in the town. The population density was 273.6 people per square mile (304.7/km²). There were 212 housing units at an average density of 385.8 per square mile (148.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 89.40% White, 1.84% African American, 5.76% Asian, 2.07% from other races, and 0.92% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.76% of the population.
There were 200 households out of which 20.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.0% were married couples living together, 14.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.5% were non-families. 33.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.17 and the average family size was 2.73.
In the town the population was spread out with 19.1% under the age of 18, 8.5% from 18 to 24, 26.3% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 21.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 84.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $27,375, and the median income for a family was $37,500. Males had a median income of $28,036 versus $19,659 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,634. About 6.0% of families and 10.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.8% of those under age 18 and 17.2% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Brookford town, North Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 26, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.