Antonio I, Prince of Monaco
|Prince of Monaco|
3 January 1701 – |
20 February 1731
|Born||25 January 1661|
|Died||20 February 1731 70)(aged|
|Spouse||Marie of Lorraine|
Louise Hippolyte, Princess of Monaco|
Margherita Camilla, Princess of Isenghien
|Father||Louis I, Prince of Monaco|
|Mother||Catherine Charlotte de Gramont|
In 1683 Antonio was named lieutenant in the Régiment du Roi Infanterie. In 1684 he was named colonel of the regiment of Soissonois. During the Nine Years War he was present at the Battle of Philippsburg (1688), the Battle of Fleurus (1690), the Siege of Mons (1691), and the Siege of Namur (1692).
On 21 August 1702 Antonio took the oath to King Louis XIV of France in the Parlement on account of being Duke of Valentinois and a Peer of France. He was made a knight of the French royal orders in 1724.
Marriage and children
They had six daughters of whom only three survived infancy :
- Caterina Charlotte (7 October 1691 – 18 June 1696), "Mademoiselle de Monaco".
- Louise Hippolyte (10 November 1697 – 29 December 1731), successor of her father.
- Elisabetta Charlotte (3 November 1698 – 25 August 1702), Mademoiselle de Valentinois.
- Margherita Camilla (1 May 1700 – 27 April 1758), "Mademoiselle de Carlades"; married on 16 April 1720 to Louis de Gand-Vilain, Prince of Isenghien and Marshal of France.
- Maria Devota (15 March 1702 – 24 October 1703), "Mademoiselle des Baux".
- Maria Paolina Theresa Devota (23 October 1708 – 20 May 1726), "Mademoiselle de Chabreuil".
Antonio also had a number of illegitimate children:
- with Elisabeth Durfort (a dancer)
- Antoine Grimaldi (1697–1784), known as Le Chevalier de Grimaldi
- with Victoire Vertu (dancer at the Paris opera)
- Antoinette Grimaldi, called mademoiselle de Saint-Rémy
- with an unknown woman
- Louise Marie Thérèse Grimaldi (1705–1723)
|Ancestors of Antonio I, Prince of Monaco|
|Sovereign Prince of Monaco
| Succeeded by|
|Duke of Valentinois
(German) Schwennicke, Detlev (Ed.) Europäische Stammtafeln, J.A. Stargardt Verlag, Marburg, volume II, table 201.