2013 Major League Baseball draft
|Date(s)||June 6–8, 2013|
|Location||Secaucus, New Jersey|
|Network(s) (US)||MLB Network|
|First round selections||39|
The 2013 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft was held from June 6 through June 8, 2013. It was broadcast from Studio 42 of the MLB Network in Secaucus, New Jersey, but only during first and second rounds.
Each team received one selection per round, going in reverse order of the 2012 MLB season final standings. In addition, teams could receive compensation draft picks if they made a qualifying offer to a free agent player from their team, if the player rejected the offer and signed with another team.
The Washington Nationals, Atlanta Braves, Milwaukee Brewers, and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim all surrendered their first round picks by signing players who had received and rejected qualifying offers from their previous teams: Rafael Soriano, B. J. Upton, Kyle Lohse, and Josh Hamilton, respectively. The Cleveland Indians, whose first round pick was protected as it fell in the top ten, lost their second round pick and a pick in the sandwich round between the second and third rounds for signing two players who received qualifying offers: Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn.
|*||Player did not sign|
|28||Kaminsky, RobRob Kaminsky||St. Louis Cardinals||Left-handed pitcher||Saint Joseph Regional High School (NJ)|
|29||Stanek, RyneRyne Stanek||Tampa Bay Rays||Right-handed pitcher||Arkansas|
|30||Demeritte, TravisTravis Demeritte||Texas Rangers||Third baseman||Winder-Barrow High School (GA)|
|31||Hursh, JasonJason Hursh||Atlanta Braves||Right-handed pitcher||Oklahoma State|
|32||Judge, AaronAaron Judge||New York Yankees||Outfielder||Fresno State|
|33||Clarkin, IanIan Clarkin||New York Yankees||Left-handed pitcher||James Madison High School (CA)|
Competitive Balance Round A
|34||Manaea, SeanSean Manaea||Kansas City Royals||Left-handed pitcher||Indiana State|
|35||Krook, MattMatt Krook*||Miami Marlins||Left-handed pitcher||St. Ignatius High School (CA)|
|36||Blair, AaronAaron Blair||Arizona Diamondbacks||Right-handed pitcher||Marshall|
|37||Hart, JoshJosh Hart||Baltimore Orioles||Outfielder||Parkview High School (GA)|
|38||Lorenzen, MichaelMichael Lorenzen||Cincinnati Reds||Right-handed pitcher||Cal State Fullerton|
|39||Knebel, CoreyCorey Knebel||Detroit Tigers||Right-handed pitcher||Texas|
- Compensation picks
- Compensation pick for failing to sign Mark Appel in the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft
- Compensation pick for the Milwaukee Brewers signing Kyle Lohse
- Compensation pick for the Atlanta Braves signing B. J. Upton
- Compensation pick for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim signing Josh Hamilton
- Compensation pick for the Cleveland Indians signing Michael Bourn
- Compensation pick for the Cleveland Indians signing Nick Swisher
- Compensation pick for the Washington Nationals signing Rafael Soriano
- Traded picks
- The Marlins acquired the 35th overall pick, and Gorkys Hernández from the Pirates in exchange for Gaby Sánchez, and Kyle Kaminska on July 31, 2012.
- The Tigers acquired the 39th overall pick, Aníbal Sánchez, and Omar Infante from the Marlins in exchange for Brian Flynn, Rob Brantly, and Jacob Turner on July 23, 2012.
The Philadelphia Phillies selected college juniors Ben Wetzler of Oregon State University in the fifth round and Jason Monda of Washington State University in the sixth round of the draft. Both entered into negotiations with the Phillies with the help of a financial adviser, which is against National Collegiate Athletic Association rules. Both also chose to return to college for their senior year. The Phillies reported Wetzler and Monda to the NCAA, which cleared Monda and suspended Wetzler for the first 11 games of the college season.
Kyle Crockett, the Cleveland Indians fourth round pick out of the University of Virginia, was promoted to the Indians on May 16, 2014. This made Crockett the first 2013 draftee to reach the major leagues.
- Mayo, Jonathan. "Draft class of 2013 starting to take shape | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Mayo, Jonathan (March 12, 2013). "All nine players turn down qualifying offers | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Nationals boost bullpen, sign Soriano to two-year deal MLB.com
- "B.J. Upton, Braves Finalize $75.25M, 5-Year Contract". Huffington Post. November 29, 2012.
- Stan McNeal. "Kyle Lohse, Brewers agree to three-year deal - MLB - Sporting News". Aol.sportingnews.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- "Josh Hamilton enthusiastic to begin era with Angels | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- "Michael Bourn gets four-year, $48 million contract from busy Indians | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. March 12, 2013. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Jong, Michael (July 31, 2012). "Miami Marlins Trade Gaby Sanchez to Pittsburgh Pirates, Acquire Gorkys Hernandez and Draft Pick". Fish Stripes.
- Frisaro, Joe (July 23, 2012). "Marlins deal Anibal, Infante for Tigers prospects". MLB.com.
- "Ben Wetzler, draft pick that Phillies reportedly told NCAA on, suspended". NJ.com. February 21, 2014. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "The Phillies Files: Phillies reportedly turn in draft pick Wetzler to NCAA". Blogs.mcall.com. June 19, 2013. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Indians pitcher Kyle Crockett shares the story of getting called to the majors (video)". cleveland.com. Retrieved May 17, 2014.