2005–06 Football League Trophy
|Goals scored||197 (3.23 per match)|
|Top goal scorer(s)||
The 2005–06 Football League Trophy, known as the LDV Vans Trophy for sponsorship reasons, was the 23rd season in the history of the competition. A straight knockout competition for English football clubs in the third and fourth tiers of the English football league system.
In all, 60 clubs entered the competition. It was split into two sections, Northern and Southern, with the winners of each section contesting the final at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. The competition began on 18 October 2005 and concluded on 2 April 2006.
The 2006 final was branded simply as the Football League Trophy after the new owners of LDV withdrew sponsorship of the competition in March 2006 due to the company entering administration, also meaning no prize money was awarded to the winners.
The First Round ties took place on 18 and 19 October 2005. Four clubs received a bye into the Second Round. Bradford City and Port Vale in the Northern section, and Colchester United and Walsall in the Southern section.
The Second Round ties took place on 22 and 23 November 2005. The Woking vs. Cheltenham Town match was abandoned with the scores at 2–1 to Cheltenham due to heavy fog after 50 minutes. The game was eventually played on 28 November 2005, with Cheltenham triumphing 5–1 in extra time. The Halifax vs. Scunthorpe United game was additionally postponed until 13 December 2005 due to bad weather conditions.
The Quarter final ties took place on 13 and 20 December 2005.
The Semi final ties took place on 24 January 2006.
|Carlisle United||2 – 1||Macclesfield Town|
| Hawley 20'
|Macclesfield Town|| 3 – 2
| Teague 4'
|Report|| Hawley 42'|
|Swansea City||1 – 0||Colchester United|
|Colchester United||1 – 2||Swansea City|
|Danns 46'||Report|| Britton 52'|
|Carlisle United||1 – 2||Swansea City|
|A. Murray 40'||Report|| Trundle 3'|
- "Johnstone's Paint Trophy Stats: Top Goal Scorers - 2005/06". ESPN. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "The Football League Trophy". RSSSF. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "2005–06 LDV Vans Trophy". RSSSF. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Prize money blow for cup winners". BBC Sport. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Carlisle 1–2 Swansea". BBC Sport. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Woking-Cheltenham match abandoned". BBC Sport. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Woking 1–5 Cheltenham". BBC Sport. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Clubs await LDV Vans Trophy draw". BBC Sport. Retrieved 6 March 2012.