2000 Major League Baseball All-Star Game
The 2000 Major League Baseball All-Star Game was the 71st playing of the midsummer classic between the all-stars of the American League (AL) and National League (NL), the two leagues comprising Major League Baseball. The game was held on July 11, 2000 at Turner Field in Atlanta, Georgia, home of the Atlanta Braves of the National League. The Florida Marlins were originally awarded the 2000 All-Star game in July 1995, but then-NL president Len Coleman took it away in November 1998 and gave it to the Atlanta Braves, saying the league wanted the game in new ballparks. The result of the game was the American League defeating the National League by a score of 6–3.
The 2000 All-Star Game was one of the few occurrences in which the manager of the host team also managed the home team of the game, in this case, the National League (Bobby Cox had led the Braves to the World Series the previous year earning the right to manage the National League).
It is remembered for Chipper Jones' home run off of James Baldwin. This was also the last MLB All-Star Game that was broadcast on NBC.
Players in italics have since been inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Baltimore Orioles 3B Cal Ripken, Jr. was selected to start by the fans but unable to play due to a back injury.
- Seattle Mariners SS Alex Rodriguez was selected to start by the fans but unable to play due to a head injury.
- Cleveland Indians RF Manny Ramírez was selected to start by the fans but unable to play due to injury.
- New York Mets C Mike Piazza was selected to start by the fans but was unable to play due to a concussion injury.
- St. Louis Cardinals 1B Mark McGwire was selected to start by the fans but unable to play due to injury.
- San Francisco Giants LF Barry Bonds was selected to start by the fans but was unable to play due to a thumb injury.
- Cincinnati Reds CF Ken Griffey, Jr. was selected to start by the fans but unable to play due to injury.
Home Run Derby
Footnotes and references
- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Player declined or was unable to play.