|Also known as||The Scourge, Father of Invention, Lord of Chaos, The Dark Lord, God of Dark Fire|
Zamorak is the god of chaos, power, and destruction, as well as personal ambitions and change. He is one of the three major gods of RuneScape alongside Saradomin and Guthix. Originating from the hazardous plane of Freneskae, he climbed through the ranks of the Zarosian Empire to become its highest-ranking general, before ascending into godhood himself after usurping Zaros - a historic event that ended the Second Age and ushered in the God Wars. Throughout the Third Age, he and the other gods that remained battled over Gielinor, until Guthix woke from his slumber and banished the gods with the Edicts of Guthix.
History[edit | edit source]
Zamorak was once a mortal Mahjarrat. Icthlarin brought Zamorak and many other Mahjarrat to Gielinor, however they defected and joined Zaros, where Zamorak rose to the rank of general before deciding to rebel. While his close followers (including Hazeel, Drakan, Zemouregal, and Viggora) fought off Zaros' bodyguards, Zamorak stabbed Zaros with the Staff of Armadyl. In the struggle Zamorak was impaled with the other end of the staff, transfering some of Zaros' power to him. Zamorak grew more powerful while Zaros disappeared.
Zamorak's usurpation eventually led to the God Wars, where Zamorak and his followers for millenia clashed with other god factions. When Guthix awoke from his slumber he banished Zamorak and the other warring gods from Gielinor with the Edicts of Guthix, ending the war and the gods' influence on the world.
Followers[edit | edit source]
Groups and races[edit | edit source]
- A number of Mahjarrat.
- Certain demons - Powerful and aggressive beings in many different sizes and shapes.
- The Kinshra - An organization of knights, the sworn enemies of the White Knights.
- Monks of Zamorak - Monks that follow Zamorak.
- Chaos druids - Occultists practicing dark magic and sacrifices.
- Chaos druid warriors - Combative chaos druids wielding maces.
- Elder chaos druids - Particularly powerful chaos druids gathered at the Chaos Temple in the wilderness.
- Dark wizards and various other similarly-titled mages such as witches.
- Necromancers - dark mages, who specialize in raising beings from the dead.
- Zamorak Magical Institute - An organisation specialising in magic and runecrafting.
- The Dagon'hai - A Zamorakian organisation of wizards, operating in Misthalin.
- Cult of Hazeel - A cult dedicated to the Mahjarrat warlord, Hazeel.
- Cult of Iban - Followers of Lord Iban, who claims to be the spiritual son of Zamorak.
- Disciples of Yama - Followers of the fire demon Yama.
- Chaos Dwarves - A particular kind of evil dwarves.
- Vampyres - Inhabitants and rulers of Morytania.
- Werewolves - Inhabitants of Morytania.
- Inhabitants of Slepe - People living in the town of Slepe in eastern Morytania, having a church dedicated to Zamorak.
- The Sisterhood - A former ancient Saradominst organisation who had sworn loyalty to Zamorak. Resides in Slepe.
Notable individuals[edit | edit source]
- Apropos - A female Dragon Rider who defected to Zamorak shortly before Zaros' downfall.
- Bologa - Granddaughter of Farmer Gricoller and former bartender of The Haymaker's Arms, invented a blessing to infuse grapes with the might of Zamorak.
- Damis - A warrior of darkness and one of the guardians in Desert Treasure.
- Dessous - A vampyre warrior of Zamorak and one of the guardians in Desert Treasure.
- Enakhra - The only known female Mahjarrat, she built a temple for Zamorak in the desert. She is seen in Enakhra's Lament.
- Evil Dave - An aspiring "evil-doer", living in his mother's basement in Edgeville.
- Fareed - A fire warrior and one of the guardians in Desert Treasure.
- Hazeel - A Mahjarrat who helped Zamorak rebel against Zaros. He is resurrected in the Hazeel Cult quest.
- General Khazard - A Mahjarrat warlord. Fought during Fight Arena.
- Kamil - An ice warrior and one of the guardians in Desert Treasure.
- King Lathas - Converted to Zamorak, when he felt his prayers to unify the kingdom of Kandarin went unanswered by Saradomin. Joined forces with Lord Iorwerth thinking he would bring forth Zamorak.
- K'ril Tsutsaroth - One of Zamorak's generals and one of his most feared tools of destruction. He now resides in the God Wars Dungeon.
- Lazim - A mysterious character, posing as a statue sculptor. He is involved in Enakhra's Lament quest.
- Lord Daquarius - Current leader of the Kinshra.
- Lord Iban - the self-proclaimed son of Zamorak. He had taken control of the Underground Pass, but was killed by an adventurer hired by King Lathas.
- Lord Lowerniel Drakan - The vampyre overlord of Morytania.
- Lucien - A fellow Mahjarrat after the Staff of Armadyl.
- Mage of Zamorak - A Zamorakian scholar, who helps the player to access the Abyss in return for information regarding the Rune essence mines.
- Phosani - A former Justiciar of Saradomin and first leader of the Zamorakian Sisterhood.
- Porazdir - One of Zamorak's generals, roaming the Wilderness.
- Scorpius - Considered the father of modern astronomy, now a ghost. He gives unholy symbol moulds and blesses unholy symbols after players complete Observatory Quest.
- Skotizo - A demon who served Zamorak during the God Wars before going rogue.
- Solus Dellagar - A dangerous warlock and major criminal, and uses Flames of Zamorak in his crimes.
- Surok Magis - The current leader of the Dagon'hai, and attempted to take over Misthalin through the mind of King Roald.
- Thammaron - An Elder demon and was the lieutenant of Zamorak. Thammaron died at the Battle of Uzer.
- Viggora - A human swordsman and general of Zaros, who joined Zamorak's rebellion.
- Zalcano - Skotizo's sister, cursed by Zamorak for her brother's treachery.
- Zemouregal - A Mahjarrat who aided Zamorak in the rebellion against Zaros.
Animals associated with Zamorak[edit | edit source]
Affiliated items[edit | edit source]
Items in italics do NOT provide protection against Zamorak's troops in the God Wars Dungeon:
- Zamorak staff
- Zamorak cape (Imbued) (Max) (Imbued max)
- Unholy book
- Unholy blessing
- Unholy symbol (Unpowered)
- Zamorak robes
- Elder chaos druid robes
- Zamorak rune armour
- Rune scimitar (Zamorak)
- Zamorak dragonhide armour
- Zamorak vestment robes
- Zamorak godsword (Ornate)
- Zamorakian spear (Hasta)
- Inquisitor's armour
- Zamorak halo
- Zamorak max hood (Imbued)
- Zamorak mjolnir
- Zamorak banner
- Zamorak heraldic helm (Rune) (Adamant) (Steel)
- Zamorak heraldic kiteshield (Rune) (Adamant) (Steel)
- Staff of the dead (Toxic) (Light) (Balance)
- Thammaron's sceptre
- Viggora's chainmace
- Dragon hunter lance
- Castlewars hood
- Castlewars cloak
- Zamorak banner
- Wine of Zamorak (Grapes)
- Zamorak brew
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Zamorak signed his 'Postbag from the Hedge' letters "Strength through Chaos".
- Zamorak is often depicted as a human by some of his followers, despite being a Mahjarrat.