A spellbook is a list of magic spells available for casting to a player. There are currently four spellbooks: the standard spellbook, the Ancient Magicks spellbook, the Lunar spellbook and the Arceuus spellbook. A player may only cast spells from their current spellbook, and if they wish to use spells from another spellbook they must change to that spellbook.
It is possible to switch to and from the Ancient Magicks spellbook and Lunar spellbook, without switching back at the former altar. For example, it is possible for players who are on Ancient Magicks to pray at the Astral Altar, where their spellbook will switch to Lunar. If players wish, they may pray again to deactivate the Lunar spellbook and get their spellbooks switched to Modern.
Spellbook filtering[edit | edit source]
By enabling the spellbook filter via right-clicking the spellbook icon, players may alter the contents of their spellbook interface based on a number of filters by clicking the Filters button on the bottom of the spellbook interface:
- Combat spells
- Teleport spells
- Utility spells
- Spells the player lacks the Magic level to cast
- Spells the player lacks the runes to cast
Once a player checks or unchecks the desired filter, tapping the Filters button again will display the filtered interface. On Old School RuneScape Mobile, if enough spells are filtered out, the spell icons will become enlarged to make them easier to tap.
Changing spellbooks[edit | edit source]
Players who wish to change their currently active spellbook have two options:
- Either they can go to the spellbook's altar:
- Lunar spellbook, the astral Runecrafting altar, next to the Oneiromancer, on Lunar Isle.
- Ancient spellbook, the altar in the Jaldraocht Pyramid, next to Azzanadra. After completion of the Desert Treasure, a shortcut is available at the back of the pyramid.
- Arceuus spellbook, the Dark Altar in Arceuus, east of the cis fairy ring. Speak with Tyss, an npc located next to the altar to switch.
- Standard spellbook, by activating and deactivating any of the above.
- Or use the altars found in the Achievement gallery of a player-owned house:
- Players have the option to build an altar for one of the three non-standard spellbooks, or combine it into one occult altar which allows for changing to any spellbook.
- Players without the means to build such an altar can use the altars found in other players' houses. The official world for open houses is World 330, and the most popular location is Rimmington.
- Players with 99 magic may also use the Magic skillcape to change spellbooks (limited uses per day).
If players are on the Lunar spellbook, they can cast Spellbook Swap, to be able to swap to another spellbook for one cast of a spell.
Types of spellbooks[edit | edit source]
Standard/Modern[edit | edit source]
The standard spellbook, also known as the modern magic spellbook, is available to all players, whereas the other spellbooks can only be unlocked through members quests.
This spellbook contains the most spells (70), as well as the most types of spells; offensive, skills, enchanting, and teleportation.
Ancient Magicks[edit | edit source]
The Ancient Magics spellbook is composed of offensive and teleportation spells. It becomes available to players after they complete the Desert Treasure quest.
To change to the Ancient Magics spellbook, or back from the Ancient Magics to the standard spellbook, players must enter the Jaldraocht Pyramid in the desert south of Al Kharid and west of Pollnivneach from the rear and pray at the altar. The Ancient Magics are considered the most powerful and dangerous spells in Runescape due to their high hits and special capabilities.
Lunar spells[edit | edit source]
The Lunar spellbook contains no offensive spells. They are filled with defensive, self-help, skill-related and utility spells. All spells exclusive to this spellbook require Astral runes.
The Lunar spellbook becomes available to a player after completion of the Lunar Diplomacy quest. More Lunar spells can be unlocked after completing Dream Mentor. To change to the Lunar spellbook or back from the Lunar to the standard spellbook, a player must pray at the Astral Altar on the south-east side of Lunar Isle.
Arceuus spells[edit | edit source]
The Arceuus spellbook contains no offensive spells.
The book contains 22 different monsters that can be reanimated with their respective ensouled head, which are dropped by monsters of the same type.