|Released||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Examine||A rocky outcrop.|
An iron rock is a protruding rock containing iron ore. A player with a Mining level of 15 or higher can mine iron ore from rocks found in various mines, granting 35 Mining experience for each ore mined. After being mined, an iron rock takes 5.4 seconds to respawn.
Iron is the most popular ore that free-to-play players power-mine for experience. At the Mining Guild, Al Kharid Mine, Piscatoris Mine, Legends' Guild mine, Verdant Valley, Lovakengj Mine, Mount Karuulm Mine, Trahaearn Mine and Wilderness Resource Area, there are three rocks in a triangle formation, which allows for convenient mining.
Mining Info[edit | edit source]
|Mining XP||35 xp|
|Respawn time||5.4 seconds|
Pre roll drops[edit | edit source]
A gem table rolls before the main drop table. There's a chance to receive nothing here so that players can receive no items from a rock even if they are guaranteed to receive an ore in the main drop table. The table gets more likely to be rolled if the player has a glory amulet equipped: the probability grows from 1/256 to 1/86.
|Nothing||N/A||70/32,768; 70/11,008[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Uncut sapphire||1||32/32,768; 32/11,008[d 1]||385||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||16/32,768; 16/11,008[d 1]||631||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||8/32,768; 8/11,008[d 1]||1,271||60|
|Uncut diamond||1||2/32,768; 2/11,008[d 1]||3,073||120|
- The drop rate is increased while wearing a amulet of glory
Main drops[edit | edit source]
The probability for a player to receive an iron ore drop is shown for varying levels in the figure below.
Conditional drops[edit | edit source]
The following table shows items which can additionally be received upon a successful resource roll. Also, the rock will deplete upon a successful resource roll.
|Clue geode (beginner)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (easy)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (medium)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (hard)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (elite)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Crystal shard||1||Rare[c 1]||Not sold||N/A|
|Unidentified minerals||1||Rare[c 2]||Not sold||30|
|Rock golem||1||Very rare||Not sold||N/A|
Banking[edit | edit source]
Iron ore rocks that are close to a bank include:
- East Varrock Mine - Bank at East Varrock Bank.
- Dorgesh-Kaan Mine - Bank at the Culinaromancer's Chest, which requires doing the first subquest of Recipe for Disaster, and The Lost Tribe is required to gain access to the mine. Also, a light source, such as a Mining helmet, is needed. For best results, do the following:
- Talk to Kazgar and have him take you to the mines.
- Mine until your inventory is full of ore.
- Go to Mistag and have him show you out of the mines.
- Go into the Lumbridge Castle basement through the hole and bank at the Culinaromancer's Chest if Recipe for Disaster is partially completed, or bank at the Lumbridge Castle bank on the top floor if not.
- Deposit all the ore and then go back to the mines and repeat.
- Iron ore rocks at the Fight Arena Mine near Port Khazard - Bank at the Port Khazard deposit box or at Yanille.
- The Piscatoris Fishing Colony Mine - Bank inside the colony and must have completed Swan Song. Also, it's an excellent place to power-mine as it's one of four mines, with the other three being Fossil Island, Al Kharid Mine and Legends' Guild mine, that contains three iron rocks close together.
- The Legends' Guild mine between East Ardougne and the Legends' Guild - Bank at Ardougne South Bank. Also, it's an excellent place to power-mine as it's one of nine mines, with the other eight being Mining Guild, Al Kharid Mine, Piscatoris mine, Lovakengj mine, Verdant Valley on Fossil Island, Mount Karuulm mine, Trahaearn mine, and Wilderness Resource Area, that contains three iron rocks close together.
- Right outside of the Mining Guild in Dwarven Mine - Bank at East Falador Bank.
- The iron ore rocks south of East Ardougne at South Ardougne Mine - Bank at Ardougne South Bank, or use an Ardougne cloak and Amulet of glory to get to the mine and bank at Edgeville.
- The West Falador Mine - Bank at West Falador Bank. Also, level 5 Agility is needed to negotiate the shortcut.
- For the daring and adventurous, the Steel Mine in the level 6 Wilderness north of Edgeville also offers a few iron ore rocks.
- The Mining Guild Members Area - Inside the Mining Guild there are two spots that have three iron rocks close together. This is the preferred area to power-mine due to the iron rocks having a decreased respawn time. - Bank in the Mining Guild Members Area
Locations[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 11 February 2020. (Archived from the original on 27 November 2020.) Mod Ash: "It adds a gem roll before each ore roll, and if you receive a gem you don't get the ore roll."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 6 July 2020. (Archived from the original on 27 November 2020.) Mod Ash: "Yes, [the mining gem table has] got [...] chance of giving no gem."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 7 Feb 2017. (Archived from the original on 18 Jun 2019.) Mod Ash: "[the actual increase when wearing the Amulet of Glory while mining is] 1/86 rather than 1/256 for a gem."
|Mining rocks and sources|