|Getting Ahead (#147)|
|Released||25 November 2020 (Update)|
|Quest series||Twisted Tales|
|Lead developer(s)||Mod Ed|
In Getting Ahead, players are tasked with bringing back the head of a deadly beast, only to discover the beast is headless.
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Speak to Gordon in their farm south of the Farming Guild.|
|Description||Gordon and Mary are two small-town farmers with a big problem – some heinous beastie keeps taking their livestock! Luckily they’ve hit upon a solution. They just need some brave adventurer to venture into the creature’s lair and bring them back its head. We can’t envisage any complications with such a routine matter, right?|
|Enemies to defeat||Headless Beast (level-82)|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
A Strange Event[edit | edit source]
Start the quest by speaking to Gordon in his farm, just south of the Farming Guild. Ask him if he needs a hand with anything, and he'll tell you that some strange beast has been stealing his livestock, and is seeking an adventurer to help them, as the Shayzien soldiers are busy dealing with lizardmen to help. Agree to help him, and he'll tell you he doesn't exactly know where the beast is, but he'll tell you to try asking his wife, Mary, who is in their house.
Mary will tell you that the beast only comes in the night, so they've never had the chance to get a proper look at it. She suggests, however, that if the beast was coated in flour, it might be easier to track down.
If you don't already have a pot of flour, go upstairs and take one. While here, take the needle and thread as well, as you'll need them later. Talk to Gordon again, who will tell you that the beast has been mainly targeting their cattle, and he had built a gate by their pen to try keeping it out. Use the pot of flour on the southern gate (just north of the bridge), and you'll begin to see a trail of flour going southward. Before tracking the beast, take the hammer by the gate to use towards the end of the quest.
A Strange Beast[edit | edit source]
Follow the trail of flour, which ends at the Kebos Lowlands mine. Before entering the cave, take the two planks by the broken rowboat and mine some clay, as it will be used later. Enter the cave to do battle with the Headless Beast.
The Headless Beast uses melee attacks, and has a special attack in which it slams the ground, resulting in a large rock crashing on the player. The rock can be avoided by stepping away before it hits the ground. The beast can be safespotted by trapping it around the pond, where it will never perform the special attack.
Upon killing the beast, search the skeleton nearby to receive Neilan's journal, revealing the beast was the work of a necromancer from the mainland. Return to Gordon, who refuses to pay you as you can't prove you've killed the beast.
A Strange Fake[edit | edit source]
Talk to Mary, who suggests to have you make a fake head via the use of clay modelling to fool her husband. Use a knife and a piece of soft clay to create a clay head, and return to Gordon. Still not convinced, add bear fur to the head (while having a needle and thread) to create a fur head and speak to him again. He will remain unconvinced, so add a red dye (found by searching the shelves next to the stairs in the house) to create a bloody head.
The bloody head will finally convince him, and he asks that you mount the head in his house. A Mounted Head Space will appear by the staircase in the house. Players will need a hammer, saw, nails of any kind, and two planks.
A hammer can be found by the gate where you poured the flour, while the saw can be found by the small barn with the ancient machinery. The workbench inside can also be searched for twenty iron nails. After mounting the bloody head, return to Gordon once more.
Congratulations! Quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 Quest point
- 3,000 coins — If not claimed at quest completion due to no available inventory space, talk to Gordon again after the quest for the reward.
- 4,000 Crafting experience
- 3,200 Construction experience
- Access to a tannery in the Kebos Lowlands (speak to Mary to access tanning services)
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Pre-release gallery[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
A typo was fixed in Gordon's greeting (Getting Ahead quest dialogue). Previously, Gordon greeted by saying "Not to bad, thanks." This was corrected to "Not too bad, thanks."
Notes[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name of the quest is a pun, as the player must get a head, albeit a fake one, to complete the quest.
- This quest is similar in premise to A Porcine of Interest, which was released two months prior. In both quests, the player helps a troubled farmer kill a beast that is threatening their livestock and brings back something to prove their deed.
- Besides the clay head, Gordon can be shown certain other items to attempt to prove the bear was killed, resulting in additional dialogue where he is unconvinced by them.
- Using Neilan's journal causes him to say anyone could have written it.
- Using big bones causes him to say the bones could have been from anywhere.
- Using an ensouled bear head causes him to say the beast was more than just a mere bear, and he tells you to get back to work finding the real head.
- Using the Bearhead from Mountain Daughter causes him to say the head is part of a costume.
- The fur head has various additional crafting dialogues.