Free-to-play Ironman guide
- 1 Early game
- 2 Combat training
- 3 Skilling
- 4 Boosts
- 5 Moneymaking methods
- 6 FAQ
Early game[edit | edit source]
Quests[edit | edit source]
Quest rewards are an efficient early game training method. Large experience rewards skip low level grinds. For example, the reward from The Knight's Sword levels Smithing from 1 to 29, giving access to iron bars and high requirement bronze equipment.
Free-to-play Quests that reward experience:
- X Marks the Spot: Antique lamp for 300 experience
- Cook's Assistant: 300 Cooking experience
- Doric's Quest: 1,300 Mining experience
- Sheep Shearer: 150 Crafting experience
- Goblin Diplomacy: 200 Crafting experience
- Misthalin Mystery: 600 Crafting experience
- Witch's Potion: 325 Magic experience
- Imp Catcher: 875 Magic experience
- Vampyre Slayer: 4,825 Attack experience
- The Restless Ghost: 1,125 Prayer experience
- The Knight's Sword: 12,725 Smithing experience
- Dragon Slayer I, requiring 32 Quest points: 18,650 and 18,650 Defence experience
After completing all of these quests except for Dragon Slayer I, where 10 Mining and 10 Cooking are required for The Knight's Sword, the players other stats can be: 20 Attack, 8 Crafting, 10 Magic, 9 Prayer, and 29 Smithing
Moneymaking[edit | edit source]
Early moneymaking can be from the Stronghold of Security one-time reward of 10,000 coins, 2,000 from level 1, 3,000 from level 2, and 5,000 from level 3. This is dangerous so fish and cook food like shrimps. Alternatively, there are two pieces of cooked meat from the tables in Barbarian Village's Long Hall that you could take and hop worlds to stock up on them.
If that is too dangerous or the reward is being saved for ultimate ironman rebuilds, complete Sheep Shearer for 60 coins then start Pirate's Treasure and repeatedly fill the crate with 10 bananas for Luthas in Musa Point for 30 coins each. Do this seven times to afford a steel axe, and 17 times for a steel pickaxe. Pirate's Treasure can then be completed for the reward of a gold ring, an emerald, and 450 coins.
With 12 quest points, Black Knights' Fortress can be completed, which comes with a reward of 2,500 coins.
Completing The Knight's Sword early gives enough Smithing experience to go from Level 1 smithing to Level 29 Smithing to allow you to smith and sell iron equipments. Sell them to specialty shops in small amounts and hop worlds to maximize your coins.
Combat training[edit | edit source]
Melee[edit | edit source]
In order of levelling priority, Strength to increase damage per second, Attack to slightly increase it slighty more, and finally Defence far later. Train Strength and Attack to 20 before Defence. There is a bronze scimitar on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the eastern house in Rimmington to get started from level 1 Attack. Scimitars up to mithril can be purchased in Al Kharid at Zeke's Superior Scimitars.
Prior to 89 Smithing and boosting with a dwarven stout to make a rune scimitar, the best weapon is a rune sword. It requires 40 Attack and is purchased from Scavvo's Rune Store in the Champions' Guild, requiring 32 quest points to enter.
(15–50) Giant frog/Big frogs: Rock crab equivalents for F2P, low defensive stats and high Hitpoints meaning they are the highest experience per hour. They lack drops other than big bones but that is good Prayer experience. Only use these for pure experience when not concerned about drops.
(45–99) Moss giants: Big bones for good Prayer experience, but in a multicombat area of the Varrock Sewers means others can steal loot. If hill giants are crowded, but moss giants are not, it can be better to use these. After completing Dragon Slayer I, Crandor isn't a multicombat area, is less crowed but much farther from a bank; teleports are recommeded.
(60–99) Ankou: Drop law runes, noted essence, adamant arrows, and mithril ore. However in terms of prayer training, ankou only drop bones instead of big bones that are dropped by giants. Ankou are a good combat training alternative, though the ankou may prove tough.
Ranged[edit | edit source]
(50–99) Ankou: Safespot them. Drop law runes, noted essence, adamant arrows, and mithril ore. However in terms of prayer training, ankou only drop bones instead of big bones that are dropped by giants. Good way to collect noted essence for ultimate ironmen.
(50–99) Ogress Shamans and Ogress Warriors: Safespot them (5+ tiles away from Shamans). Excellent drops for High Alchemy, nature runes, law runes, death runes, and cosmic runes. Also drop iron and steel arrows.
Magic[edit | edit source]
1–13 Cows, Chickens, Goblins, Minotaurs: Fast and cheap levels from air strikes provided by the free 30 air runes and 30 mind runes from the Magic combat tutor in Lumbridge. Collect cowhides for Crafting and feathers for Fishing. Bury all bones as Prayer is difficult to train otherwise. Collect all iron arrows for Ranged.
13-99 Greater demons: Wilderness only. Low magic defence and drop rune full helms. Demonic Ruins provides infinite Prayer points. Use Mystic Will, Mystic Lore, and Mystic Might to increase Magic accuracy. For ultimate ironmen, kill them as early as possible before accumulating wealth to get the rune full helm and mithril kiteshield.
(13–99) Lesser demons: A safer alternative to Greater demons, but with lesser drops.
(59–99) Fire Blasting Ogress Warriors and Ogress Shamans: Death Runes are expensive but should all be obtained from and used on Ogress Warriors to be most efficient (Shamans have slightly more Magic Defence but they are still do-able). Fire Strike can be used too but takes much longer, especially at low levels. Excellent drops for High Alchemy, nature runes, law runes, death runes, and cosmic runes. Alchs can sustain purchasing other runes.
Prayer[edit | edit source]
Bury every bone drop as Prayer experience accumulates slowly.
Kill low Hitpoints monsters like chickens or rats for fast bones, or monsters that drop big bones like giant frogs or hill giants at higher combat levels for faster training. Save time burying bones by burying the bones just as the character begins the attack animation and then quickly clicking on the target again, this skips the bone burying animation without losing time between attacks.
Alternatively for non-hardcore ironmen, go to level 33 Wilderness and bury big bones that spawn in the boneyard, for between 4,000–9,300 experience per hour with world hopping. Decent Defence is important, including armour or an amulet of defence, or wait 10 minutes to make skeletons lose aggressiveness. For ultimate ironmen, get rid of expensive equipment and store coins in the Last Man Standing coffer before doing this.
A safer alternative in the Wilderness is at the Chaos Temple in level 11 Wilderness for piles of bones to be picked up and buried for 6,000+ experience per hour if hopping worlds. There are no monsters, but there is still a possibility for player killers. At 6,000 experience per hour, it takes just over an hour for Protect Item and more than 8 hours for Protect from Melee.
Equipment progression[edit | edit source]
- Chainbodies are better against crush attacks, which most of the common high-level free-to-play monsters use. Similarly, leather gloves give slightly higher crush defence than leather vambraces.
- Rune sword has faster attack speed than the rune longsword, and therefore produces higher damage per second (DPS). It is recommend to train with a rune sword from level 40 attack and onwards until a rune scimitar can be smithed at level 89 smithing with a dwarven stout.
- Gold decorative armour pieces (besides the legs) are more effective than their adamant counterparts as they weigh less.
- Plateskirts have the same defensive stats as platelegs but weigh less (except for decorative armour plateskirts and platelegs, which weigh the same).
Obtaining a suitable melee shield will provide F2P ironman players with a challenge. Whereas up to adamant is offered in the NPC shops for the helmet slot (and up to rune is offered in the NPC shops for the body, legs, and weapon slot), the highest-level shield the NPC shop offers is an iron square shield, and mid-level/beginning-level players would not be able to grind ogresses for a mithril kiteshield drop, never mind being able to grind Obor for a rune kiteshield (or Bryophyta for a rune square shield/adamant kiteshield). These are lower-level alternate shield options for F2P ironman players before one can acquire a higher-level shield:
Mid-level shields: 6. Black kiteshield (Ice giant) 7. Mithril sq shield (57+1 Smithing or Ice giant, Lesser demon) 8. Black sq shield (Moss giant) 9. Steel kiteshield (41+1 Smithing or Moss giant) 10. Steel sq shield (37+1 Smithing or Bandit)
Lower-level shields: 11. Iron kiteshield (26+1 Smithing or Hill Giant) 12. Anti-dragon shield (Started Dragon Slayer I) 13. Iron sq shield (Cassie's Shield Shop. or 22+1 Smithing) 14. Bronze kiteshield (11+1 Smithing) 15. Bronze sq shield (7+1 Smithing or Goblin) 16. Training shield or Wooden shield
- Provide no offensive bonuses
|Slot||Item (most effective → least effective)|
|Wizard hat / Blue wizard hat (Betty's Magic Emporium or Dark wizard, Wizard, Imp)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Amulet of magic (40 Mining, 40 Smithing, 24 Crafting and 7 Magic)||Amulet of accuracy (Imp Catcher)||N/A||N/A|
|Black robe / Blue wizard robe (Dark wizard, Wizard)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Zamorak monk bottom (Monk of Zamorak)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Elemental staff (Zaff's Superior Staffs! or Lava Maze spawn for staff of earth)||Magic staff (Zaff's Superior Staffs! or Moss giant)||Skull sceptre (Stronghold of Security)||Staff (Zaff's Superior Staffs! or Dark wizard, Wizard, Barbarian)|
|Anti-dragon shield* (Started Dragon Slayer I)||Wooden shield* (Cassie's Shield Shop)|
Training shield* (Melee combat tutor)
|Leather gloves* (Spawn near Edgeville bank)||Leather vambraces* (11 Crafting)||N/A||N/A|
|Leather boots* (Spawn in Lumbridge Castle cellar or 7 Crafting)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
- Provide no offensive bonuses
Skilling[edit | edit source]
Fishing/Cooking[edit | edit source]
Cook everything you catch with Fishing. Cooking will always be higher level than Fishing unless power levelling. Gerrant's Fishy Business, located in Port Sarim, has all the supplies needed to do any fishing.
Small fishing net for raw shrimps, then at Level 15 Fishing will also obtain raw anchovies. Best spot is in Draynor Village if the combat level 7 Dark wizards are not aggressive, otherwise the best spot is south of Lumbridge by the Fishing tutor./ 1–5/20:
fishing rod and fishing bait, better experience rates bait fishing raw sardine at Level 5 Fishing, and at Level 10 Fishing, raw herring. Both raw sardine and raw herring can be fished in Draynor Village. If the combat level 7 dark wizards in Draynor Village are too aggressive, then raw sardine and raw herring can also be fished south of Lumbridge by the Fishing tutor./ 5–20: Requires a
fly fishing rod and feathers. The best free-to-play experience, fly fishing raw trout, and at Level 30 Fishing, raw salmon. It is recommended to fish in Barbarian Village because the spots are on average closer and there is a nearby permanent fire. Can bank raw fish/cooked fish from Barbarian Village using Edgeville bank. Collecting feathers from chickens is also good for training Prayer since chickens have a 100% drop rate of bones but if you just need feathers, you can either buy feathers from Gerrant's Fishy Business. in Port Sarim or kill the Evil Chicken at the Champions' Guild (Protect from Magic recommended along with prayer armour; prayer points can be restored at the Altar of Chaos southeast of Varrock)./ 20–99: Requires a
Mining[edit | edit source]
Iron rocks: Power levelling by Mining and dropping iron ore is the fastest experience per hour. However, it is recommended to train Mining by training other skills unless planning to access the Mining Guild at 60 Mining as soon as possible. Using tick manipulation, experience rates of 65,000-76,000 per hour are obtainable using an alternate account to attack the player with auto-retaliate on in the Wilderness at the Bandit Camp mine.15–99
Iron, silver and gold rocks or rune essences: Naturally level Mining while Smithing iron equipment, Crafting with silver bars, requiring 20 Mining and gold bars, requiring 40 Mining or mining rune essences for Runecraft./ / / (15–99)
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Crafting is one of the most important skills for making money. Crafting also provides an ironman player amulets with improved stats over the amulet of accuracy, as well as early-game ranged gear. Edgeville furnace is the closest furnace to a bank. With Level 40+ Crafting, use the Crafting Guild then Teleport to Falador with law runes for efficient Crafting training, otherwise use Al kharid furnace for close silver and gold rocks without law runes.
- Ruby amulet: 16–50 Crafting requires 1972 unstrung symbols or 1878 tiaras. Can be enchanted to the amulet of strength with 49 Magic for melee training.
- Diamond amulet: 16–70 Crafting requires 14,698 unstrung symbols or 13,998 tiaras. Can be enchanted to the amulet of power with 57 Magic for melee and ranged training.
Pottery: Pottery is much faster, but does not train Smithing or yield useful items. There are two possible runs: clay rocks in south-west Varrock mine, water in Varrock centre fountain, craft in Barbarian Village, canoe or run back down to the mine. Or mine in Dwarven Mine, water at Falador waterpump near the hairdresser, then craft in Barbarian Village. At Level 40+ Crafting, the Crafting Guild can be accessed and this method becomes a better option as the Guild contains clay rocks, a sink, a potter's wheel and a pottery oven. With 7 water vessels, it is about 10,000 Crafting experience per hour.8–16/40+
Unstrung symbols. This is the 2nd fastest experience, silver is much quicker to mine than gold and symbols sell for decent money. For regular ironmen, sell to the bandit store in the Wilderness. For hardcore ironmen and ultimate ironmen, sell to the Al-Kharid General Store. The three options are the Al-Kharid mine, the furnace to the south, or the South-west Varrock mine then banking in west Varrock bank or canoe to Lumbridge for ultimates, or using the Crafting Guild then teleport to Falador. The fastest method is by far the latter, but requires many law runes. If not teleporting, Falador is the best option for ultimate ironmen, while hopping at Varrock west is best for ironmen, since the mine is closest to a bank.16–23
Tiaras: The fastest experience available sacrificing some money earned.23–99
Gold necklace/Gold amulet (u): Gold is better money and Smithing experience, but at the expense of crafting experience. The best way to do this is world hopping at the Dwarven Mine or Al-Kharid mine, or teleporting to Falador from the Crafting Guild. Gold items also maximise Smithing experience per law rune used so it is only recommended for ultimate ironmen due to lack of bank access./ (Alternative with 40+ Smithing)
Runecraft[edit | edit source]
Acquire rune essences from Mining at the rune essence mine after completing Rune Mysteries or from killing ankous, catablepons, or minotaurs. The rune essence mine closest to a bank is accessed by Aubury in Varrock.
Air runes: Requires 194 rune essence. Air runes are useful for spells and the air altar is close to a bank. Do not craft mind runes, they are generally not worth the time. For ultimate ironmen who complete Rune Mysteries, get level 9 before dropping the air talisman, or you will have to get another from the air wizard, mine rune essence at the Wizards' Tower and walk to the altar. Combination training Mining in the Crafting can be more efficient.1–9
Earth runes: Requires 175 rune essence. Earth talismans can be obtained from earth wizards, men, or Al-Kharid warriors. This is the best option for ultimate ironmen until 99 since it is the closest altar to an essence mine. 2,005,148 essences are needed to get from 9 to 99 when crafting earth runes to 99 alone.9–14 for regular/hardcore or 9–99 for ultimate
Fire runes: Requires 338 rune essence. For normal ironmen, this is slightly faster than earth runes, only if the essence is already mined. Fire talismans can be obtained from fire wizards or dark wizards.14–20 for regular/hardcore
Body runes. This is the best experience per hour for normal ironmen. Viable option for ultimate ironmen only with noted essences from minotaurs, catablepons, or ankou. Body talismans drop from hill giants and guards. Combination training Mining in the Al Kharid mine can be more efficient. 1,737,329 essences are needed to get from 20 to 99 when crafting body runes to 99 alone.20–99 for regular/hardcore
Tiaras: An alternative method to crafting runes, all tiaras can be made at 1 Runecraft. Collecting talisman drops, craft tiaras, then make tiaras at the appropriate altar. Infinite air talismans can also be obtained at the very beginning of the Rune Mysteries quest by drop tricking the air talisman, then requesting a new one from Duke Horacio. Do not progress through the quest if you plan on training via this method otherwise this training method will permanently become unavailable.(1–99)
Smithing[edit | edit source]
This is a difficult skill to train, especially for ultimate ironmen. However, in order to have best in slot gear, 89 Smithing is required, with a +1 boost from a Dwarven stout, to smith a rune scimitar.
For ironmen or players smithing for money, always favour smithing platebodies, then platelegs, then shortswords, then daggers and sell to specialty shops. For ultimate ironmen, this is very slow unless superheating or teleporting from Varrock Southwest Mine to Falador's furnace and then back to Varrock each trip.
The Knight's Sword: Regular and ultimate ironman: Obtain 2 iron bars by killing dwarves or going to the Wilderness spawn west of the Graveyard of Shadows, it is not worth getting 15 Smithing unless you are a hardcore ironman. In that case, mine copper ore and tin ore in East Lumbridge Swamp mine near the Mining tutor, and smelt the bars in Lumbridge furnace. Purchase a hammer from the Lumbridge General Store and use the rusted anvil nearby until 15 Smithing. Iron ore can then be mined and made into iron bars.1–29
steel bars at the Dwarven Mine or Edgeville Dungeon mine then making steel equipment. This is only viable for ultimate ironmen that don't mind using nature runes for superheating. Regular ironmen earn about equal experience with iron smithing, but don't have to spend nature runes.30+ Superheating
All rubies and uncut rubies, save one for an amulet of strength, should be dedicated to making rings of forging. Take a ruby ring and 250 coins to Murky Matt in the south-east corner of the Grand Exchange, selection option 3, to upgrade them all to rings of forging. The cost of this is offset by not losing any iron ore during the smelting process. Each ring of forging smelts 140 iron ore (5 trips of a full inventory of iron ore) before disintegrating. The requirements to make a ruby ring are 34 Crafting, 40 Mining, and 40 Smithing.
Training locations[edit | edit source]
The Edgeville furnace is free-to-play and it is the closest furnace to a bank. The anvils south of the western Varrock bank are the closest anvils to a bank and the Varrock Teleport spell can get the player there quicker. This is not a full list of free-to-play mining locations but a list of viable mining locations for training Mining, Crafting, and/or Smithing.
|Locations||Rocks||Training methods and notes|
|Al Kharid mine||
Northern Dwarven Mine
Southern Dwarven Mine
|South Wilderness mine||
|South-east Varrock mine|
|South-west Varrock mine||
Woodcutting/Firemaking[edit | edit source]
Firemaking is only useful for boosting total level. Woodcutting allows travel by canoe throughout Misthalin to save run energy and time. 12 Woodcutting is required for the log canoe which only travels one stop. The waka canoe, requiring 57 Woodcutting, can bring you any distance.
A steel axe from Bob's Brilliant Axes or lesser demons is your best option outside of smithing a mithril axe, adamant axe or rune axe at 51, 71, and 86 Smithing respectively. Note that dwarven stout gives a +1 Smithing boost.
Normal trees are the only option.1–15:
Oak trees. Because a steel axe is the best non-Smithing option, it's recommended to get more than the level 30 requirement for willows. The best spots are by northern Lumbridge, east and west of Varrock, and north and west of Draynor Village and right outside of the Champions' Guild.15–40:
Boosts[edit | edit source]
||1||N/A||3 Spawns in Barbarian Village|
|Draynor Manor cabbage|| +1–2
||7 Spawns near Draynor Manor|
|Dwarven stout||+1||1|| 2–5
||Purchase from Rising Sun Inn|
|Strength potion|| +3–12
||N/A||N/A||Trade Apothecary 5 coins, a limpwurt root, and red spiders' eggs|
|Wizard's mind bomb|| +2–3
||Purchase from Rising Sun Inn|
|Energy potion||Restores 10% run energy||N/A||N/A||Trade Apothecary 2 limpwurt roots, and 1 chocolate dust|
Moneymaking methods[edit | edit source]
In addition to the early game moneymaking methods, these are other common methods:
- Equipment made through Smithing can be sold to specialty shops, and Crafting items can be sold to general stores. It is beneficial to sell in small quantities (5–10) then hop worlds. Non-hardcore ironmen can sell to the Bandit Duty Free general store in the Wilderness to maximize profit, but beware of player killers especially when world hopping.
- At 40 Fishing and 40 Cooking, lobsters can be caught at Musa Point, cooked, then sold to the nearby Karamja General Store.
- Random events are good starting money, especially gems which can be cut and sold to Gem Trader or Herquin's Gems. Buying and cutting gems from those shops is good too, but they restock extremely slowly so hop worlds. 20 Crafting is required for sapphires, located at both shops, and 27 Crafting is required for emeralds only available at the Gem Trader.
- For regular ironmen and ultimate ironmen with no money and no items at risk, there is a steel platelegs and steel platebody spawn in the Wilderness. The steel platelegs spawn is in the ruins (level 24 Wilderness), the steel platebody spawn is in the Lava Maze (level 45 wilderness), bring a knife or slash weapon to cut webs and beware of player killers. A staff of earth also spawns inside the Lava Maze, safe from lesser demons which can be sold to general stores or Zaff's Superior Staffs!.
Combat[edit | edit source]
Use combat training and pick up drops, pick up drops in between attacks to be efficient. Profitable monsters include:
- Minotaurs: Killing minotaurs are a good way for low-level players to start making money as they drop a variety of items including small amounts of coins and bronze full helms that can be sold to the Helmet Shop. in Barbarian Village.
- Hill giants and moss giants: Drop small amounts of coins, various runes, and some pieces of equipments that can be sold. Also drop Giant keys and Mossy keys respectively, to challenge Obor and Bryophyta for better rewards.
- Ankous: They commonly drop law runes and a decent amount of coins.
- Lesser demons: Drop runes, coins, and equipment. Rarely drops rune med helms for High Level Alchemy. Obsolete after unlocking ogresses.
- Greater demons: Only for non-hardcore ironmen. Drop runes, coins, and equipment. Rarely drop rune full helms for High Level Alchemy, but after unlocking ogresses, they are obsolete.
- Ogresses: Effectively the best way to make money via combat after completing The Corsair Curse and Dragon Slayer I. They uncommonly drop rune full helms, rune battleaxes, and rune med helms for High Level Alchemy, and drop death runes, nature runes, and law runes.
FAQ[edit | edit source]
Q: I just started. What should I do?
A: In addition to the early game moneymaking methods, completing quests such as Cook's Assistant, Sheep Shearer, Imp Catcher, Witch's Potion, Vampyre Slayer, Misthalin Mystery, Goblin Diplomacy, The Restless Ghost, and X Marks the Spot are all great early experience.
Completing The Knight's Sword quest early gives enough Smithing experience to go from Level 1 smithing to Level 29 Smithing to allow you to smith iron equipments that would help in early melee combat training but could also be sold to specialty shops or the general store for money.
Completing the Imp Catcher quest will give the player the amulet of accuracy, which is an excellent amulet in the early game with offensive accuracy bonuses, and is easy to obtain compared to every other F2P amulet. It is easiest to go to the soutern Falador gate and kill all the imps that spawn there. In contrast to the ease of obtaining an amulet of accuracy, a holy symbol can be made for increased Prayer bonus, requiring 20 Mining, 20 Smithing, 16 Crafting, and 31 Prayer.
The following all require 40 Mining and 40 Smithing:
- Amulet of magic requires 24 Crafting and 7 Magic, better for training Magic.
- Amulet of defence requires 31 Crafting and 27 Magic, better for taking less damage. Convenient to have if planning on mining iron ore and coal by the skeletons north of Edgeville or burying bones in the Boneyard for Prayer experience.
- Amulet of strength requires 50 Crafting and 49 Magic, better for melee training.
- Amulet of power requires 70 Crafting and 57 Magic, better for melee training (if maximum damage is the same as amulet of strength) and ranged training.
Q: How do I re-acquire the amulet of accuracy if I lose it?
A: Give Wizard Mizgog another set of beads. Imps are commonly found south of Falador. Once you can start crafting better amulets, the amulet of accuracy becomes obsolete and can be thrown away once you can create an amulet of power.
A: From best to worst drop count / drop rate:
- Laws: Obor, Bryophyta, ogress warrior and ogress shaman, ankou, ice warrior, moss giant, chaos dwarf, catablepon, hill giant, ice giant, hobgoblin, black knight, bandit, skeleton, dark wizard, barbarian, white knight, wizard, pirate
- Natures: Bryophyta, Obor, maze, ogress warrior and ogress shaman, ice warrior, dark wizard, chaos dwarf, ice giant, white knight, moss giant, pirate, dwarf, hobgoblin, hill giant, ice giant, bandit, beginner clue
- Cosmics: Obor, Bryophyta, ogress warrior and ogress shaman, zombie, ice warrior, black knight, chaos dwarf, moss giant, hill giant, ice giant, dark wizard, hobgoblin
Q: For ultimate ironmen, what should we always have in the inventory?
A: Early game: Law runes, nature runes, coins, and pickaxe. Teleports and Superheat are important. Everything else is easily obtainable or should be equipped. Opt to equip ranged gear at all times, it's relatively light and works for both ranged and melee.
Late game: As levels slow down, more time is spent doing one activity. Clear your inventory and plan ahead to maximise rates, collect coins or runes and then spend them in one go to clear your inventory and keep a light setup for activities like runecrafting, Wilderness training, or mining. All free-to-play items are easily obtainable at this point and coins can be safely stored in the Last Man Standing coffer in thousands of coins.
Q: What do I spend my money on?
A: With a small excess, one can first go to Diango and purchase a Chronicle (300 coins) and teleport cards (150 coins each) to charge up your Chronicle. Right-clicking on the Chronicle and selecting the 'Teleport Chronicle' option will teleport you just east outside of the Champions' Guild, consuming one charge on your Chronicle. The Chronicle could also be used as a one-click emergency teleport in a dangerous situation; it can be wielded in the shield slot to save an inventory space.
After spending money on the best in slot items (pickaxe/axe/armour/weapon), spend money on arrows and runes. For ultimates, money is spent clearing inventory and re-obtaining items as needed. If an ultimate ironman is not using their money, they can place their coins in the Last Man Standing coffer in thousands of coins.
With a huge excess, the Edgeville respawn point can be bought for 5,000,000 coins. It is useful for unlocking a runecrafting strategy, requiring 31 Prayer, running from the body altar to the monastery, dying to the Kharid scorpion on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] and respawning in Edgeville with 100% run energy.
Q: What skill do I put experience lamps in?
Q: Are canoes available in free-to-play?
A: Yes. They are great transportation for saving run energy and quick transportation. An axe can quickly be obtained in Lumbridge from the Woodsman tutor, the tree stump near Seth Groats south of the Champions' Guild canoe station, or one can be bought from Bob's Brilliant Axes.
Q: Any other tips for saving run energy?
A: Keep your weight as close to 0 kg as possible, otherwise use the following transportation if possible:
- Canoes and teleportation spells are the go-to transportation techniques. Use them when possible.
- Minigame teleport has a cooldown of 20 minutes. Clan Wars and Last Man Standing bring you to the Ferox Enclave, a safezone in the Wilderness until you leave the barriers of the Ferox Enclave. Castle Wars is used in the same way, as leaving the castle's lobby doors brings you to the Ferox Enclave. It has a bank and a Pool of Refreshment that restores Hitpoints, Prayer points, and run energy. There is also a canoe station next to the teleport spot.
- Home teleport can be used once every 30 minutes, it does not share the cooldown of the Minigame Teleport. This brings you to the Lumbridge spawn near a bank and Prayer altar.
- Chronicle: With a surplus of coins, go to Diango in Draynor Village and purchase a Chronicle for 300 coins. It is wieldable in the shield slot to save inventory space. It must be charged with teleport cards from Diango for 150 coins each. It teleports you just east outside of the Champions' Guild, next to a canoe station, and within walking distance of Varrock.
- Skull Sceptre: For higher combat players, the skull sceptre teleports you to Barbarian Village. A skull sceptre is obtained by assembling one of each of four pieces that are rare drops from monsters in the Stronghold of Security: the right skull half from minotaurs, the bottom of sceptre from flesh crawlers, the top of sceptre from catablepons, and the left skull half from ankou.
- Getting to Port Sarim, Asgarnian Ice Dungeon, Mudskipper Point or Karamja: Home teleport to Lumbridge, run to the Shantay Pass and talk to Shantay. Select 1. What is this place?, then 1. I am definitely an outlaw, prepare to die! If Shantay ends the dialogue prematurely, talk to him again until you see an option for further dialogue. The guards will arrest you, and you will be put in the Shantay Pass jail cell. Shantay will give you the option to stay or paying a fine. Refuse to pay 2. No thanks, you're not having my money., he will give you another chance or be deported to Port Sarim. Select 2. No, do your worst! You will end up in Port Sarim jail. Right-click ("Pick-lock Door") the jail cell door and you will attempt to pick the lock on the jail door until you succeed. The time saved in getting to Port Sarim/Asganian Ice Dungeon/Mudskipper Point/Karamja is mimimal unless you are very far away.
- From Lumbridge to the Crafting Guild or Falador: The fastest way from Lumbridge to the Crafting Guild or Falador is walking unless you have 37 Magic and runes for Teleport to Falador.
- Agility levels still lower run regeneration time while being free-to-play, so if a member, train it to make F2P easier. By level 48, run energy regeneration rate is doubled from 1% per 7.5 seconds (1% per 12.5 ticks) to 1% per 3.75 seconds (1% per 6.25 ticks). By level 72, a percent of run energy is restored every 3 seconds (1% per 5 ticks).