|Released||9 May 2005 (Update)|
|Examine||A large stone chest.|
Looting the chest[edit | edit source]
Upon opening the chest, the brother whose crypt the player entered will appear and start attacking the player, if he did not already appear while travelling through the tunnels. It is not required to kill the Barrows brother in order to loot the chest. However, keep in mind that the chance of getting Barrows equipment from the chest increases as more brothers are killed, and players will not be able to receive equipment belonging to brothers they did not kill.
Once the chest is open, click it again to loot it. A window will appear showing you the rewards, which will go into the player's inventory (or be dropped on the ground, if the inventory is full) once the window is closed.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Drop rates estimated based on 128,000 openings from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
Note that the loot chances below are accurate for a Barrows run with all 6 brothers slain and with full potential (1012 points). To accurately calculate your specific situation, please make use of the Barrows calculator.
Pre-roll[edit | edit source]
Ahrim's[edit | edit source]
|Ahrim's hood||1||7 × 1/2,448||39,424||7,800|
|Ahrim's robetop||1||7 × 1/2,448||1,561,126||30,000|
|Ahrim's robeskirt||1||7 × 1/2,448||1,521,899||28,200|
|Ahrim's staff||1||7 × 1/2,448||108,922||51,000|
Dharok's[edit | edit source]
|Dharok's helm||1||7 × 1/2,448||215,470||61,800|
|Dharok's platebody||1||7 × 1/2,448||758,044||168,000|
|Dharok's platelegs||1||7 × 1/2,448||924,022||165,000|
|Dharok's greataxe||1||7 × 1/2,448||594,159||124,800|
Guthan's[edit | edit source]
|Guthan's helm||1||7 × 1/2,448||386,008||61,800|
|Guthan's platebody||1||7 × 1/2,448||633,158||168,000|
|Guthan's chainskirt||1||7 × 1/2,448||382,253||165,000|
|Guthan's warspear||1||7 × 1/2,448||546,375||60,000|
Karil's[edit | edit source]
|Karil's coif||1||7 × 1/2,448||53,671||7,800|
|Karil's leathertop||1||7 × 1/2,448||2,980,998||30,000|
|Karil's leatherskirt||1||7 × 1/2,448||793,753||28,200|
|Karil's crossbow||1||7 × 1/2,448||160,242||96,000|
Torag's[edit | edit source]
|Torag's helm||1||7 × 1/2,448||89,933||61,800|
|Torag's platebody||1||7 × 1/2,448||223,933||168,000|
|Torag's platelegs||1||7 × 1/2,448||225,701||165,000|
|Torag's hammers||1||7 × 1/2,448||97,338||96,000|
Verac's[edit | edit source]
|Verac's helm||1||7 × 1/2,448||113,973||61,800|
|Verac's brassard||1||7 × 1/2,448||205,014||168,000|
|Verac's plateskirt||1||7 × 1/2,448||396,960||165,000|
|Verac's flail||1||7 × 1/2,448||138,359||96,000|
Main table[edit | edit source]
Players who completed the hard Morytania Diary will receive 50% more runes. The base amount without the diary completed is listed below.
|Coins||2–774||7 × 379/1,012[d 1]||2–774||2–774|
|Mind rune||253–336||7 × 125/1,012[d 2]||759–1,008||253–336|
|Chaos rune||112–139||7 × 125/1,012[d 3]||5,824–7,228||6,048–7,506|
|Death rune||70–83||7 × 125/1,012[d 4]||14,210–16,849||7,560–8,964|
|Blood rune||37–43||7 × 125/1,012[d 5]||14,689–17,071||8,880–10,320|
|Bolt rack||35–40||7 × 125/1,012[d 6]||2,555–2,920||1,050–1,200|
|Loop half of key||1||7 × 3/1,012[d 7]||10,396||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||7 × 3/1,012[d 7]||11,201||60|
|Dragon med helm||1||7 × 1/1,012[d 8]||58,925||60,000|
- Requires 1 reward potential to roll.
- Requires 381 reward potential to roll.
- Requires 506 reward potential to roll.
- Requires 631 reward potential to roll.
- Requires 756 reward potential to roll.
- Requires 881 reward potential to roll.
- Requires 1,006 reward potential to roll.
- Requires 1,012 reward potential to roll.
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||7 × 1/200[d 1]||Not sold||12|
- 1/200 chance for each brother killed; scales up to 1/33.75 with all six brothers slain.
Reward mechanics[edit | edit source]
Number of rolls[edit | edit source]
- There is initially one roll at the drop table.
- Each additional brother killed grants an additional roll at the drop table, to a maximum of seven total rolls.
Chance of uniques[edit | edit source]
- Each brother killed has his associated items added to the possible rewards.
- First, the Barrows equipment is rolled against. The chance of getting a Barrows item is shown in fig.1. Or, in tabular format to the right.
- If the Barrows item chance is successfully hit, one of the available Barrows items is chosen at random - each part has equal chance, but once chosen it will not be chosen again on future rolls.
Where P is the drop chance and N is the number of brothers killed.
Chance of other items[edit | edit source]
- If the Barrows item chance is not met, an additional measure called reward potential is calculated as shown in fig.2.
- Or simply, reward potential is the sum of all the combat levels of the monsters killed, capped at 1000 - including the brothers (all six have a combat sum of 656). This is then added to the two times the number of brothers killed, giving a total maximum reward potential of 1012.
- A roll is performed for a value between one and your reward potential (each inclusive). The result then determines what item is awarded, and how many of it.
Where R is the reward potential, S is the capped sum of Cs, C is the combat level of a monster killed and N is the number of brothers killed.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The chances of getting at least one piece of Barrows equipment is approximately 1/15.01 ( precisely) if you kill all six brothers. This chance is unaffected by the rewards potential that is built by killing other monsters in the crypt. The chance of receiving a specific piece of equipment is approximately 1/350.14 ( precisely).
- As it is possible to receive more than one piece of Barrows equipment per chest, the average number of Barrows pieces per chest is 7/102 (~1/14.57).
- In order to receive a piece of Barrows equipment, the corresponding brother must be killed before the chest is looted. Thus, if you wanted a piece of Guthan's equipment, you would have to kill Guthan before you are eligible to obtain his equipment. Therefore, it is impossible to acquire Barrows equipment if no brothers are slain, although coins or runes may still be awarded.
- For every brother killed, you get an extra roll for rewards; so if all six brothers are killed, it is possible to obtain up to seven pieces of Barrows equipment.
- It is possible to get multiple items from the same brother, but it is not possible to receive multiple copies of the same item.
- Killing all of the brothers is not required to receive loot; however, not killing all brothers decreases your chance of receiving a Barrows item.
|RP required for
|Chance at max RP per roll|
|Key half||1006||N/A (always 1)||6/1012||0.6%|
|Dragon med helm||1012||N/A (always 1)||1/1012||0.1%|
Calculations[edit | edit source]
Here are some values expressing your chances of getting the items. These numbers assume you kill all the brothers each time.
|Chests opened||Expected number
|Probability of getting
at least 1 unique
|Probability of getting
at least 1 specific unique
|Probability of completing
a specific set
|Probability of getting|
at least 1 of each unique
Changes[edit | edit source]
|5 March 2015
(update | poll)
|4 September 2014
The Barrows chest will no longer give more than one elite clue at a time.
References[edit | edit source]
|Barrows brothers (Strategies)|