Yazhou Zhoukan (Chinese: 亞洲週刊; pinyin: Yàzhōu Zhōukān; literally: "Asia Weekly") is the only Chinese language international affairs newsweekly which has been published for over 20 years. Yazhou Zhoukan is now published by Yanzhou Zhoukan Limited, a subsidiary of Media Chinese International Limited which is based in Malaysia, which is one of the largest global Chinese media platforms targeting Chinese readers in major Chinese communities. It provides political, economic and cultural news around the world.
During its 15th Anniversary in 2002, Yazhou Zhoukan organized its first The Young Chinese Entrepreneur Award. The Award was open to individuals from five regions, including Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, and Malaysia. This event gathered worldwide Chinese professionals and entrepreneurs to share their experiences and insights.
The headquarters of Yazhou Zhoukan is in Hong Kong. With its team of journalists worldwide, it is able to present global issues and Chinese perspectives on international issues.
Yazhou Zhoukan was formerly associated with Asiaweek, which was the English edition focusing on Asia. They were published weekly by Asiaweek Limited, a subsidiary of Time Inc. Based in Hong Kong, it was established in 1975.
Ming Pao Enterprise Corporation Limited got the ownership of Yazhou Zhoukan from Time Warner Inc. in 1994. Currently, Yazhou Zhoukan is published by Yahzhou Zhoukan Limited, a subsidiary of Media Chinese International Limited, which is the parent company of Ming Pao Enterprise Corporation.
1987 - Yazhou Zhoukan was first published in December
1991 - Computer Typesetting was first used in producing Yazhou Zhoukan
1992 - Supplement, Global Chinese Business 300 was first launched
1993 - Supplements, Global Chinese Business 500 was first launched
1994 - Time Warner Inc. sold the ownership of Yazhou Zhoukan to Ming Pao Enterprise
1995 - Supplement, Global Chinese Business 100 - China Report was first launched
1998 - The website of Yazhou Zhoukan, yzzk.com, was first introduced
2001 - TOM.COM purchased 50% of shares of Yazhou Zhoukan in March
2002 - The first The Young Chinese Entrepreneur Award was organized in December
2002 - Special Edition of Top 1000 Asian Company was introduced
2003 - Subscription of Yazhou Zhoukan was introduced in Thailand
2003 - Subscription of "Yazhou Zhoukan was introduced in Indonesia
Yazhou Zhoukan is the first Chinese title publishing international issues. Yazhou Zhoukan aims to provide the latest news about the global affairs to Chinese society, leaders and elites internationally. In its role as a Chinese language platform it reports news, current affairs, analysis and opinion.
Yazhou Zhoukan reports the Chinese perspectives of all aspects of international issues, including political, economic and cultural fields. Readers of Yazhou Zhoukan are mainly Asians in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Japan, South Korea, Canada, United Kingdom, United States etc. The majority of readers belong to the middle class with relatively high incomes and educational level. Most of them are senior management personnel and entrepreneurs.
- Excellence in Human Rights Report (Honorable Mention) - 高耀潔赴美，胡佳網絡建功
- Excellence in Human Rights Report (Award) - 揭開現代中國奴工產業鏈真相
- Excellence in News Photography (Honorable Mention) - 澳門民怨沸騰，暗藏七大危機
- Excellence in Reporting on the Environment (Award) - 環境危機催生中國新民主運動
- The Scoop Award (Honorable Mention) - 西藏談判僵局，達賴特使密晤京官內情
- The Local Journalist Award, Chinese Language - 江迅 Jiang Xuen
- Excellence in Feature Writing (Honorable Mention) - 中國維權新浪潮，中產階段新博奕
- Excellence in Magazine Front Cover Design (Honorable Mention) - 以色列中國民工賭命
- Excellence in Opinion Writing (Award) - 程翔系列
- Excellence in Human Rights Report (Honorable Mention) - 中國維權人士律師，法治先鋒
- Excellence in Feature Writing (Award) - 快樂的是是菲律賓人超越政經痛苦
- Excellence in Opinion Writing (Honorable Mention) - 美越為越戰翻案
Yazhou Zhoukan has also won several awards from various organizations. In March 2003, its photographer Kwong Wingkeung has won the Focus at the Frontline 2002 organized by the Hong Kong Press Photographers Association in the Photo Essay Category for his work, Afghan- being neglected because of her peace. Three month later, the story Exclusive Report: Liu Xiaoqing, the Movie Star of the Mainland China, was Imprisoned has won the 2003 SOPA Editorial Excellence Award for Excellence in Reporting, Chinese Language Category.
Yazhou Zhoukan Young Chinese Entrepreneur Award
In 2002, Yazhou Zhoukan was elected the most popular Chinese magazine among Asian financiers and executives. In 2002, the 15th Anniversary of Yazhou Zhoukan, it organizes its first The Young Chinese Entrepreneur Award. It aims to encourage young entrepreneurs to excel in their fields in order to create a good prospect for the Asian economic climate.
- Applicants should be aged below 40
- Business Achievements: Achieved commercial success, demonstrated business growth and development through financial return and market position in the regional or global market
- Entrepreneurship: Demonstrated the leadership and ability essential to long-term business success
- Innovation: Established creative ideas and innovative programmes that enabled the organization to excel against competitors in the industry
This award is open to individuals from five regions, including Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia. Only one winner is selected from each of the five important Asian regions. The winners of the Young Chinese Entrepreneur Awards are mainly CEOs or Group Managing Directors of the companies with prestigious status.
- Yazhou Zhoukan official site
- Ming Pao Group official site
- Tom group official site
- The Young Chinese Entrepreneur Award
- HK Press Photographers Association
- Awarding photo essay "Afghan- being neglected because of her peace"
- The Society of Publishers in Asia (SOPA)
- The exclusive interview with Liu Xiao Qing