The town of Yangshuo from a nearby karst peak known as the TV tower. The Li River can be seen in the background.
|Coordinates: 24°47′N 110°30′E / 24.783°N 110.500°ECoordinates: 24°47′N 110°30′E / 24.783°N 110.500°E|
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|County seat||Yangshuo Town|
|• Total||1,428 km2 (551 sq mi)|
|• Density||210/km2 (540/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Yangshuo County (simplified Chinese: 阳朔县; traditional Chinese: 陽朔縣; pinyin: Yángshuò Xiàn) is a county under the jurisdiction of Guilin City, in the northeast of Guangxi, China. Its seat is located in Yangshuo Town. Surrounded by karst peaks and bordered on one side by the Li River it is easily accessible by bus or by boat from nearby Guilin. In the 1980s, the town became popular with foreign backpackers, and by the late 1990s packaged tourists began arriving in greater numbers. At that time, domestic tourism represented only a small fraction of the tourists but by 2005 domestic tourists outnumbered foreign tourists by a great margin. Today, the town has become a resort destination for both domestic and foreign travelers.There is a lot to explore in Yangshuo. The West Street of Yangshuo has become a must-visit place. The history of West Street dates back to over 1400 years ago. At that time, there were only a few grocery stores in the street. Now, it has become a popular street that you can find many foreigners walking around the street and even become the boss of a bar or restaurant. There are signs written in both Chinese and English. Due to tourism, most locals in Yangshuo speak English, which is uncommon for Chinese cities.
The Yangshuo region has numerous locations for climbing, most easily accessible by bicycle, public bus or taxi-van. The most famous of these crags is Moon Hill with several 5.13 graded lines. Other crags of note include Low Mountain, Twin Gates, Baby Frog, The Egg, Bamboo Grove and Wine Bottle Cliff.
Yangshuo has city partnerships with the following cities and/or regions:
- Morehead, Kentucky, United States (1994)
- Rapid City, South Dakota, United States (2000)
- Bled, Upper Carniola, Slovenia (2009)
- Annecy-le-Vieux, Haute Savoie, France (2011)
- The picture on the back of the 20 yuan bill is taken at the Li River near Yangshuo.
- A digital panorama of the distinctive scenery of Yangshuo was used in the landmark 1993 video game, Doom as one of the backgrounds.
- "West Street" ChinaTour.Net Accessed 2014-12-4
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yangshuo.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Yangshuo.|
- Official website of Yangshuo County
- A comprehensive guide to the city of Yangshuo. focused on lifestyle, travel, culture insights & events in Yangshuo.